Does the tandem tow better than single axle?

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Im keen to know if anyone has experienced better towing with the twin axles with the van holding its weight better and less bounce when driving?

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
well i have a very limited towing experience with either (work sucks but need to work to pay for the expanda),
but i have to say, i collected our 17 from Brisbane and drove it to Tweed Coast (in the dark) and it felt rock solid, i was very happy with the towing feeling of it

Reactions: blacky

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
We went the duel axle over the single primarily over safety. Initially looked at the16 footer, but decided on the17 56 after talking with neighbours who have both had many year and KLM of vanning & recommended the duel axle- it was no brainer. Have towed all types of various trailer and the duel axle are heavier(more fuel)but I believe are a far better option. They are also more stable at rest once setup at camp...

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think the tandem is also more stable when set up.
My old 16 used to sway around a bit more once the legs were down where as the tandem on my 18 seems to be a lot more sturdier.

Hi Sledge,

I towed an outback Swan, then a 16" onroad Destiny and now a 17" Outback which is dual axel. I definitely prefer the dual axel 17" van. It appears to be more stable on the back, but it is also far easier to reverse. I have a VERY tight driveway to jack knife into and the bigger van tends to "behave" in a far more predictable manner.

Reactions: iadizajy

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
As with most things an extra set of wheels helps with the ride and control when turning. Even with a normal trailer, as a few of the guys have mentioned, the control for reversing is so much better. We started with a camper trailer and it was a pig to back, but don't have any issue with the 18ft dual axle, as it goes where I want it to. I had to reverse through a single roller door into the back yard at the old place, and was able to get it first go swinging in from the street, as the extra wheels helped it step over there kerb, where a single axle would fight you all the way.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We tow a 20 " tandem and it is far better than the swan ever was, also have a tandem boat and it tows great as well.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I have a single axle 16.51 starcraft. It tows very well and is easy to back. I also have a large trailable yacht on a tandem trailer. It also tows very well. But, reversing into tight drive ways it is harder. The trouble is tandem axles in tight turns oppose each other. Tyres scrub and spring packs are strained.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I find this interesting to hear. We have a boat which must be close to the limit of a single axle as it weighs around 1.8t (current models of same boat are delivered on tandem axles trailers), and now the baby 14.44-4ob, which I think is only 1.7t with a belly full of water. Old tug for boat was a d40 Nav and it was a pretty good unit and towed the boat pretty good, that was until we upgrade to a 2015 Ranger, Ranger has alot more mods then the d40 had and sometimes it can be easy to forget you are even towing anything.

So while a tandem axle trailer sounds like they are better from the above comments, I would think a single axle trailer will be a lighter van/boat etc and if the tug is set up well with good suspension and a good drivetrain then you would hardley even notice its there. I have not towed anything bigger then what we own but the Ranger eats up our two sub 2t single axle trailers.