16' Series Do I need to tarp?

Bundy086

Nov 14, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Hi all,

I'm a new member and new owner - we just bought a 2012 16.49 1 outback today! Very excited, we pick it up next week. I've been looking through the forum at a lot of the great tips and mods, that we will definitely be using!

One quick question - up until now we have had a camper trailer (tent), so obviously tarped it for more than a very short stay. So we still need to tarp an expanda? From a heat and rain perspective? Ours has the roof mounted aircon, would that impact how we would tarp it as well?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry if it's a dumb question that's been asked a thousand times!!

Reactions: FiveInAVan

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @Bundy086. Please be aware that we don't have dumb questions on this forum because the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. :D

Most of our members have come through the tent/campertrailer line to get here but I don't know of any that put a tarp over their van when camped for extended stays. The roof is well insulated and your 2012 model will have hard lids so again, no tarp is needed although most members do use a form of storm cover/privacy screen around their bed ends. There are plenty of threads showing how members have purchased and fitted these.

Enjoy the forum and don't forget to tell us about your self, your rig and your travels, all with lots of pictures.:photo:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome from the other side of OZ @Bundy086 ... @chartrock beat me to the "dumb question" comment and an answer for you. Ask away with any question's and someone on here will get you the answer.

Enjoy the wealth of knowledge, ideas and bit of banter that goes on here and also looking forward to your trip stories and pics!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Welcome to the forum @Bundy086. Please be aware that we don't have dumb questions on this forum because the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. :D

Welcome from the other side of OZ @Bundy086 ... @chartrock beat me to the "dumb question" comment and an answer for you. Ask away with any question's and someone on here will get you the answer.

X26 welcome @Bundy086 and as per above
never such a thing as a dumb question, so ask anything and everything

and
Enjoy the forum and don't forget to tell us about your self, your rig and your travels, all with lots of pictures.:photo:

ohhhh we LOVE piccies, and also like to know everything about you and yours...........
big enough back yard for a forum meet
big enough kitchen to feed us all
etc

again, welcome, and by all means ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge with the guys and gals on this forum

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi!

Congrats on new van.

Only reason to tarp would be if hail imminent ...in heavy rain and wind you definitely need to use tie downs ( ropes and good pegs attached to awning) but often safer to take awning down completely.

If not possible then tie it down and use some form of anti flap to minimise damage. See relevant posts for options and a good anti flap kit is useful.

Hail can damage the flimsy awning....see pictures of Drover's recent encounter with hail.

But for heat and light rain no need to tarp.....just another job to interfere with relaxation.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I used to have an extra long ratchet strap.........
tied one end to the horizontal bar of the awning.......... fling it over the top
attach to other bar on other side........

then I brought an anti flap kit
well, when I say I.... I am meaning SWMBO
and they came with the annex she brought

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

youngy73

Feb 7, 2015
Hi all,

I'm a new member and new owner - we just bought a 2012 16.49 1 outback today! Very excited, we pick it up next week. I've been looking through the forum at a lot of the great tips and mods, that we will definitely be using!

One quick question - up until now we have had a camper trailer (tent), so obviously tarped it for more than a very short stay. So we still need to tarp an expanda? From a heat and rain perspective? Ours has the roof mounted aircon, would that impact how we would tarp it as well?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry if it's a dumb question that's been asked a thousand times!!
It can sometimes be handy to have a couple of tarps, poles etc. I quite often set one up for shade / rain. Takes a few minutes and gives a bit extra space under the awning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 259

Bundy086

Nov 14, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Well, we did our first big trip over Xmas, 3 weeks on the NSW mid North Coast. We had a few days of insane weather and everything held up well! Following your advice, we didn't tarp the van and no dramas with the rain, but we did tarp off the front for our 2 week stay to create extra shade area. We have 2 young ones (3.5yo and 11mo) so we come with all of the "necessities" as you can see from the pic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: bigcol and dagree