17' Series Do I Need an Anti-flap Kit???

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
An AFK Usually comes when you get an annex because you need to 'hang' your annex walls of the AFK.
Therefore, without and annex and in half decent weather you dont need them, however, in strong winds they will make your awning rock solid.
I probably wouldn't rush out and get them just yet.

Having said all of that, I've always had an annex and therefore access to AFK. I did often out them up without the annex for piece of mind.
Perhaps others on the forum have opinions or have AFK without an annex

Reactions: Flossymk1

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
An AFK Usually comes when you get an annex because you need to 'hang' your annex walls of the AFK.
Therefore, without and annex and in half decent weather you dont need them, however, in strong winds they will make your awning rock solid.
I probably wouldn't rush out and get them just yet.

Having said all of that, I've always had an annex and therefore access to AFK. I did often out them up without the annex for piece of mind.
Perhaps others on the forum have opinions or have AFK without an annex

That's interesting...we have a Kakadu annex but I haven't seen an AFK with all the stuff....mind you I don't know what I am really looking for.

Would you leave an awing up with an AFK on if it was really windy? We have done the mercy dash out in the middle of the night a few times to put the awning in quickly, for fear of it being ripped off.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We picked brought a S/H one ebay cheap for our van coming tomorrow. AFK kit we pickup on the weekend. Now if its fits our van will not know :) thought correct size so brought it. Had plenty of time looking for stuff waiting for the van. I just thought piece of mind for those night time trips..

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Would you leave an awing up with an AFK on if it was really windy? We have done the mercy dash out in the middle of the night a few times to put the awning in quickly, for fear of it being ripped off.

I guess there is wind and there is wind...

I have had my awning up in pretty strong winds and slept well. As long as the legs are still attached to the van, AFK is on and you have ropes from the barrel pegged to the ground. They are essential I reckon.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Short answer is NO, you don't need them however HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, I have a set and no annexing, The mercy dash usually happen at 2 times in the day, either in the wee hours when your snoring your head off, or when you've gone out for the day.

Aussie Traveller is the main brand and most popular, however if you don't wont to shell out the $$$ just yet, for around $40 you can pick up anti flap straps the just clamp onto the awning ends and Velcro around the awning end bar. throwing a full length strap across the top and pegged down will also assist.

At the end of the day if the wind is strong enough, nothing will save it, I had mine out full AFK on roped 2x dual ropes and pegged *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* 12" pegs, with legs still attached to van, while off at shower (ensuite site) I heard a loud bang, looked out to find the wife and daughter trying to hold the awning, one end had let go in a freak gust of wind and the AFK bar almost whacked one of them in the head as it let go, by the time I got out there 3 neighbours also hanging onto it trying to roll the awning away. fortunately no injuries or damage.

Last edited:

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
I guess there is wind and there is wind...

I have had my awning up in pretty strong winds and slept well. As long as the legs are still attached to the van, AFK is on and you have ropes from the barrel pegged to the ground. They are essential I reckon.

Thanks @relgate , will have double check we don't have an AFK, before buying one and see how it goes.

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
Yeah, get em , you may regret it in the middle of the night , worrying like anything that your awnings going to tear ...The outside ones are a bit of a stuff around at first < cheers

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Aussie Traveller AFK's are the go. There is a trick to fitting them initially, ie drilling the hole in exactly the right spot in the awning tube. I would recommend getting someone like Tebbs etc to fit them and they will have all the right clips that you need and they sell the centre rafter kits as well. Then when you are on site and you know you have roped them off well, you don't have to worry when you are down the street and the wind pops up.

It is heaps quieter at night and if you want an annexe you need them anyway. Once you first use them get some tape or a marker and mark which way they go, it just speeds up the installation. With mine I just kept them together and market them front and rear.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Just get the little clip on ones. They dont take much time to pull off if you have to do a sudden awining roll up at 2:00 am.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Aussie Traveller here as well. Great AFK set up and as others have said rope and peg down as well makes for a solid awning.

Reactions: Pace

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We had the clip on strap ones on the last van and they "seemed" to do the job but still did the midnight run when the wind picked up.
New van we have the Aussie Traveller AFK's and two curved roof bars. Haven't used them while away yet but did set them up on the front yard and the awning was as tight as a Scotsman. It rained that day and not one puddle of water on the awning (Old one used to end up with a big pool of water on it.