Discovery 17.55.3OB Brake problem

Fergo

Aug 22, 2013
Hi everyone,
My first post so I will try to make it understandable.
I purchased the above van Nov 2013 and have only done 3000klms so far. Reasonably happy with everything except the brakes. I feel that there is an underlying issue as the brake effectiveness is almost undetectable. Been back to the dealer as late as today and they have obviously had a number of similar problems but say at 60KPH they stop!! Who's worried about 60K. its 80-90KPH when you need to stop in a hurry is when you need your brakes to work. I have checked all of the Prodigy settings and even at max voltage for max braking force its a bit like using a your shirt for a parrachute. Dealer contacted Alko who said brakes don't work so well now as the linings are no longer made from Asbestos?? I could go on but the question simply is: Has any one experienced similar braking issues and were you able to find a solution?
Fergo

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Keep hassling the repairer Fergo. The brakes should stop everything when you hit Max on the brake controller. My guess is the the arm which holds the elec magnet may be bent a little and the magnet is not attaching across the whole face of the magnet.

Also when I had my wheels off, I noticed that Jayco had not inserted the clip that holds the magnet back off from the face of the drum - ie the magnet was constantly rubbing against the face! One of my gripes about Jayco lack of quality control.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
not too sure on how yours was setup - but - with my Prodigy -

1) when I just touch the brakes, I can feel the van braking before my car
2) at 90Kms an hour - it takes awhile for 4.5 tonne of mass to slow down (Van and Car) emergency stopping...?? Steel Bull Bar is the answer
3) when plugged in - the light is Green
4) when you touch your brakes - stationary - the light goes RED
5) if it is Amber you have not got it set properly

if that is as yours, and like mine it still went "you want what......?" when you were trying to stop
I replaced the disc's and pads on ALL 4 corners of my Patrol, not cheap, but it eliminated that from the problem source.

I have found the problem with mine (Booster has a slight Vacuum leak)
hopefully you will find the answer to yours

cheers

Fergo

Aug 22, 2013
Keep hassling the repairer Fergo. The brakes should stop everything when you hit Max on the brake controller. My guess is the the arm which holds the elec magnet may be bent a little and the magnet is not attaching across the whole face of the magnet.

Also when I had my wheels off, I noticed that Jayco had not inserted the clip that holds the magnet back off from the face of the drum - ie the magnet was constantly rubbing against the face! One of my gripes about Jayco lack of quality control.

A

Fergo

Aug 22, 2013
Thanks for the info Glen,
I have already been in their ear this morning. We will see what happens by the end of the day.

Fergo

Aug 22, 2013
not too sure on how yours was setup - but - with my Prodigy -

1) when I just touch the brakes, I can feel the van braking before my car
2) at 90Kms an hour - it takes awhile for 4.5 tonne of mass to slow down (Van and Car) emergency stopping...?? Steel Bull Bar is the answer
3) when plugged in - the light is Green
4) when you touch your brakes - stationary - the light goes RED
5) if it is Amber you have not got it set properly

if that is as yours, and like mine it still went "you want what......?" when you were trying to stop
I replaced the disc's and pads on ALL 4 corners of my Patrol, not cheap, but it eliminated that from the problem source.

I have found the problem with mine (Booster has a slight Vacuum leak)
hopefully you will find the answer to yours

cheers

Fergo

Aug 22, 2013
Thanks bigcol,
Sounds like a model prodigy and set up. Mine checks out fine in the tug as per set up instructions but I will check again
Fergo