Dinette table rail coming out of wall

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi everyone. We're on our second trip and noticed our table rail had come loose on one side on the 17.56's main dinette. We tried tightening the screws but the holes are just too loose. Quite annoying not being able to use the table. Has anyone else had this problem? We have complained to the dealer, but has anyone been successful in finding a way to strengthen these tables.
Thanks

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Not me.... Just wondering what you could fill the hole with so that you could screw into the same hole...maybe plug the hole with a piece of dowel.

Reactions: Jaypanda

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Just a thought, could you fill the hole with liquid nails (you can buy smaller tubes of it with a screw top lid) and then screw it back in after it has dried (hardened) a little. From memory they are self tapping screws so should work hopefully.
Cheers
greynt

Reactions: Jaypanda

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks for the tips. Hoping jayco will fix it ok under warranty...the list is growing fast! Never expected this problem. My parents have an 18 year old jayco eagle camper with a similar table that survived a family of six, and its never come loose. Not letting it spoil our holiday...really enjoying the Beachfront Caravan Park at Victor Harbor, SA. Lots to do at Victor, and even though we're all stuck inside today the Expanda is comfortable and the 6 of us all have our own space.

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Well we have the same issue on our 16.67-1

Poor table design as the single pole transfers all weight to the wall mount, then two screws each end (plus middle) take the weight. Really need to change single pole to a leg base something, also planning on mounting a alloy strip on the wall to better distribute the load. Don't trust taking that to a repairer.

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi, I have had the exact same problem.. Poor design, and discovered the table is only holding on by the screws into the veneer wall. Was surprised to not find a brace behind the wall to give a nice solid mount.. Any way though about asking Jayco to fix under warranty, however past experience with this has been far from impressive.. and a better job if I had done it myself. Motto now is fix if I can.. What I done was small amount of saw dust and wood glue to make a nice paste, then fill the existing hole. Once dry, I drilled a small pilot hole, them re-attach the table mount. Do not get carried away and over tighten the screws. No problems at this stage.. it has been about 4 months.

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Ta, my tradie days had me mounting screws to most interior house walling so know how to tighten a screw on soft materials. Mounting that table to veneer walling is a joke. Plus as the holes wear from loading it will get worse.

At the very least single leg needs changing to a mushroom base or something.

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Good one @DaveS, have had a look at load spreading rivets, http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/brands/pop/rivets/types/load-spreading-lsrls-rivets I am a real fan of pop rivets and can see where these would be the best solution to a lot of problems. Have got a problem on my current van (not Jayco) where indeed they will work a treat, thanks @DaveS. What a shame manufacturers don't use smart products like these first time around, goodness alone knows purchasers pay enough for these things

Last edited:
Reactions: Pace