16' Series Demo vs new

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
we have decided on the 16. The weight saving means we don't have to change cars. Just have to decide between new with the 4 month wait or the one demo. Time to wheel and deal I guess.

Reactions: 1DayIll

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
At least you'll know if the cupboard doors are likely to fall off!

Everyone who looks at a caravan....your demo....will have opened every door ....and yes, the screws do fall out so they'll probably have been fixed by now. A bonus.

Check the plate while wheeling and dealing....and the warranty. From the plated date or from date of your purchase?

The negotiation could be in the area of extras to be added....I strongly recommend ESC if it's not fitted already.

(We had a 16.49.3 and loved it!) so hope all goes well in the buying process.

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
Before we ordered our new van we asked about discounts on demo vans and were told that they tended not to give much of a discount as enough people wanted a van straight away rather than having to wait for one. I would try a different salesman and see what a new van would cost compared to the demo.

Reactions: RobRoy

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
One of the things they are throwing in is storm covers. Do I want these or am I better buying aftermarket. They also want to give me a TV and Webber Q baby which we have anyway. And we don't watch TV camping. iPad maybe

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Storm covers...yes...as they should fit them and that saves a lot of hassle. Do you need them? Yes...we didn't have them and got really drenched last month in cyclone Debbie....but we did have them on our 16.49.3 for the eighteen months we had it and never used them once.

It's a case of when you need them, you really need them and some owners are even leaving them on permanently now so I'd get them if they're included....after market doesn't usually save much.

As said, try them on the stuff you want and can use rather than what you really don't need.

Maybe a stone guard....or extra 12v sockets ....or ESC as said....or the privacy screens....not sure what's already there.

What's already on the van? Demos are all set up differently.

Reactions: dagree and RobRoy

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
I also agree about the storm covers. I don't know whether they are made by Jayco but they are a must. Not just for rain protection but better insulation from the cold or noise. TV - well interestingly enough, we decided not to get the Sphere TV and then found it in the van when we picked it up. However, there are a few other 12V TV's out there that are a fraction of the price of the Sphere.

As to a stone guard, we in the end ordered a Stone Stomper which had the best reviews. One of my concerns about the type going on top of the draw bar was the reports from people who when reversing and turning sharply put the stone guard through their rear tail lights.

A concern about the demo also is how much you can get them to modify it. Things like ESC, power points, TV bracket are normally included in the build and you may have difficulties (or just additional expense) getting them added afterwards.

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
The only extra on the van is the entertainment system, which i have never used on our hawk. Otherwise its stock as far as I can tell. I'm pretty happy with stock really. We wont miss what we have never had. Its already a big step up from a Hawk anyway.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It's interesting how you adapt!

When we ordered our expanda, we asked for no air con, no radio, no tv as we didn't think we wanted them as it wasn't the type of camping we liked.

We did want the toilet and shower but could do without the rest....and really didn't want them.

They talked us out of cutting out the aircon....resale value argument....fine.

Then, when we collected the van, it came with tv package. Rarely used the tv, never used the radio, and rarely used the aircon.

Sold the van with all of the above....some used and welcome when they were used, others never used.

Now we expect those items to be included and we're starting to use them more. So we've adapted.

Reactions: KECL and RobRoy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If the Demo has the basic stuff you want I'd go for it, you can tyre kick all the bits now, and use it tomorrow instead of wasting life waiting for months only to find you have to wait a bit more.........................storm covers, yes if they are going to throw them in, TV can buy an Aldi TV cheaper and it actually has a better tuner.....................the main thing is if it feels right then do it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We went the demo option with a few extras added on before pickup.... The rest I have added post sale! The only thing we couldn't change was the draw bar so next time I will be making sure that it's an extended one but can live with it now.

We didn't have the issue with every man and his dog looking through the van, opening & closing cupboards, trying out the loo & shower :bathbaby: etc..... It was ordered in for floor stock but we put the deposit down the day after it hit the yard and hadn't even been detailed :)

Go for the storm covers for sure.... We have the Jayco ones and no complaints as yet (And I am known as the "Rain God of the West" when we go away!!!!). They are light weight compared to others I have seen but work just as good.

Good Luck which ever way you decide and looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you when you pick it up!

And the best thing is..... No waiting months for delivery :)

Reactions: Drover