Curved roof bars

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Having read another thread regarding awnings I have decided I probably should have curved roof bars and de-flappers the question is how many.

My awning on my Discovery is approx 3.5mtrs

Thanks

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Jaybird I havent bothered with curved roof bars but I do have the full length Aussie traveller anti flap kit, I think the Curved roof bars are more to stop the water pooling on your awning so with 3.5m 1 in the middle would probably do the job
Cheers Grant

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
G'day Jaybird, typically its 1 for 16 ft and 2 for 17/18ft van awning. as for the deflappers, there are a number of options available as the whole bar that runs the depth of the awning (better IMO), or the individual ones which i've seen 4 at either end.

We got 2 curverd roof bars and full length antiflap kit from aussie traveller.Pace.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hi.

We have a 17 footer and we just have the 1 roof rafter. Also we have the Aussie Traveller anti flap which allows us to set up the annex walls etc.

All good in heavy rain and annex stood up to some very strong winds in Mt Gambier. I would have rolled the awning away in those winds, regardless of anti-flap.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks for your replies I will probably go with 1 roof bar, cant afford the Aussie traveller having spent the budget so far. I cant seem to figure out other sort of antiflap devices as they seem to rely on attaching to the horizontal cross member from the van to the outer edge of the awning roll bar and the angle of the vinyl roof dosent seem to support this idea, will have to look further.

Hit the road

Oct 25, 2012
Frankston Vic
Hi BoD
sorry to ask a dumb question but as a newby to this forum and yet to receive my 17 footer, what is an anti flap? and how does it work?
i was going to order the roof rafters but not sure how this all works.
can you elaborate or perhaps show me some pics if possible
Cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
The Basic anti-flappers are a strap that fastens the awning to the horizontal bar that comes out from the van and stops it flapping in the wind or the anti flap kit is a full length bar that attaches to the van and the drum on the awning and clamps the entire edge of the awning more expensive but far more effective . Have a look here
http://www.aussietraveller.com.au/pages/products/category/24/anti_flap_kits

Cheers Grant

Reactions: cruza driver

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
HTR, sorry I've taken a while to answer.

Capt Gadgets video says it all really.

Good anti-flap pays for itself in that one day you will leave your van with the awning out and the wind will come up and tear the awning. Doesn't take long. Seen it happen.

I always fit it as a rule unless I intend to pack it away.

Hit the road

Oct 25, 2012
Frankston Vic
HTR, sorry I've taken a while to answer.

Capt Gadgets video says it all really.

Good anti-flap pays for itself in that one day you will leave your van with the awning out and the wind will come up and tear the awning. Doesn't take long. Seen it happen.

I always fit it as a rule unless I intend to pack it away.

Thanks very much for that
Great help
ThinK now I will have to stop reading this forum, it's going to send me broke with all these great ideas,
Do i need to order theses with the annex so that it all works?
I have a tebbs annex on order with my new van
Thanks again

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
I just picked my annex up from tebbs ,Murray was very helpful anti flaps are standard and think curved rafters are extra ,the curved rafter don't have much of a curve in them

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I went to Tebbs yesterday and bought some gear, agree they are very helpful and fair price.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi all,
New to forum. I am about to order a 14.44-4 ob expanda and was wondering if it is easy to install the Aussie Traveller curved roof rafter and de - flapping kit to the carefree roll out awning the expanda's come with. How do they attach to the Caravan and how to the attach to the carefree roll out awning?
Cheers
Nick

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
The Basic anti-flappers are a strap that fastens the awning to the horizontal bar that comes out from the van and stops it flapping in the wind or the anti flap kit is a full length bar that attaches to the van and the drum on the awning and clamps the entire edge of the awning more expensive but far more effective . Have a look here
http://www.aussietraveller.com.au/pages/products/category/24/anti_flap_kits

Cheers Grant

Hi Rockape, Capt Gadget posted this link earlier in this thread. Have a look at the video, it shows exactly how to fit both the Anti flap and curved roof rafters. Is a very quick and easy 5 minute job when setting up and taking down. They are absolutely worth having!