16' Series Cover or Not to Cover

BigRudds

Dec 9, 2015
Brisbane North
Hi,
I am wondering what other people do? I have a camec caravan cover and after taking it off after 3 months I found a bit of mold and a lot of dirt marks which have been extremely difficult to clean. I am thinking I will leave the cover off!!! Any ideas would help.
Cheers
BigRudds
Jayco Expanda 16.49

steen rasmussen

Oct 3, 2014
Mango Hill, Qld
For me covers are a waste of money for the exact issues you are experiencing. Air doesn't circulate, moisture naturally developers and you can never eliminate dirt and dust so same problems will always occur. Wash regularly and apply wax once or twice a tear and you will be fine. For those of us who don't have the luxury of under cover storage this is the unfortunate reality.

Happy waxing!

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
An alternate view if you can't keep it in a garage. Buy a cheap cover on eBay (less than $200). Expect 2-3 years and replace. Polish twice a year. Always put it away clean. Never use a polish with ammonia (makes the fibreglass go yellow). My Expanda looked brand new after 5 years. No chalking or yellowing. The only mould was on the awning and this comes off. My Starcraft is now 2.5 years old and also looks new. It's the sun that does the damage.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
The cover we bought (on second one now, first lasted about 3 years as expected) 'breaths' so no moisture collects under the cover, enough light also gets through so solar panel keeps the battery trickle charged. Agree that the sun here in Adelaides summer does a lot of damage including to the tyres. Van looks like new after 4 years.

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
Got to block those UV rays. :flame:
I am a cover convert. Purchased a Stormcover for my Expanda and it keeps it looking like new. Not cheap, however I do not experience any of the problems you mentioned.
I just clean the van after a trip, zip the cover on and it looks like new when I go to use it.
The sun will have a go at everything on your van, from the windows to the seals, silicone, tyres, cladding, etc,etc.
This was very evident when I stared looking at second hand rigs that were not that old.
I had covers on my last two wind up's and both presented in "as new" condition when sold.
The money spent on a quality cover is, l feel is more often recouped with good resale. :phone: