Control panel position

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Hi,
We recently ordered a 17.56-2 and have just gone over the build sheet. I asked to have the control panel and hot water switch relocated to the side of the microwave panel and was told this cant be done. I have read on here that some people have done this. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Neil

Reactions: Brettmc

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Neil,

I'm not sure how to convince them to move the control panels, but my advice would be to work hard at getting them to move it. I've lost count of the amount of times my kids (and I've done it once as well) have kick on/off the water pump or HWS!!! It's a pain in the butt!!!

Good luck, James

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome neil glad to have you on board sounds like a great van coming your way.

Three things to assist :)

1) Good luck I have all fingers crossed for you in getting the switched in the right spot as your spot they will be accidentally pushed when ever they are near the feet :)....

2) For the hot water / battery switch they seem to only ever want to put this on the floor I just don't get why but I think its because they don't want to run to much wire.

2) In terms of the control panel print this and take it in and accept nothing less. This is our van and it was no big deal to get it done here for us.....

100_1443-jpg.jpg

Finally good luck and let us know how you get along!

Cheers :)!

Attachments

• 100_1443-jpg.jpg
    100_1443-jpg.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Antman

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
I just spent Saturday morning relocating our new Drifter control panel. The factory placed it behind a window pelmet looking over the dining table. You needed to straddle the table to see the screen, and concidering it wasn't a cheap option, I thought they might put some thought into where it would go.
So;
I put it above the 150l fridge, now I can see it, turn power on and off, turn the pump on and off, monitor tanks, power consumption...etc.

To do it, I just soldered on 1/2 a meter of wire to the loom, all 12 wires, absolutly worth it!!

In the hole it left I put a twin USB charging outlet. Yet to wire it up, but it looks the part!

Happy now.:)

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks guys that is what I needed to see. I have a feeling the guy from over here (Perth) didn't even ring head office and just told me it can't be done. Also apparently he has never heard of the Drifter control panel either. I think I'm making a call to head office myself in the morning.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I was told control panels can be put near the microwave but they wouldn't move the HWS switch up here.

I originally asked for the control panel to be put high up on the rhs cupboard wall as you walk into the van so I could operate the switches and see water levels without having to go right in side... Got shutdown as they wouldn't do it for me - some excuse about needs to be closest to the battery...

image.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi ligedy, My HWS and control panel (including C/B's and solar reg) are located in an overhead cupboard above the sink. It's on the same side as battery and hot water system but is the farthest cupboard it could be fitted in. Hope that helps. HM

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Thanks HM - yeah Jayco just taking the easy way out again. I'll relocate my HWS myself when I get a chance.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I just spent Saturday morning relocating our new Drifter control panel. The factory placed it behind a window pelmet looking over the dining table. You needed to straddle the table to see the screen, and concidering it wasn't a cheap option, I thought they might put some thought into where it would go.
So;
I put it above the 150l fridge, now I can see it, turn power on and off, turn the pump on and off, monitor tanks, power consumption...etc.

To do it, I just soldered on 1/2 a meter of wire to the loom, all 12 wires, absolutly worth it!!

In the hole it left I put a twin USB charging outlet. Yet to wire it up, but it looks the part!

Happy now.:)

Well done mate, what a stupid place to put it, for the money I'd want to see it also......some people sit on their brains!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks HM - yeah Jayco just taking the easy way out again. I'll relocate my HWS myself when I get a chance.

Hi ligedy, Sorry mate for some reason I thought you were the original poster, just checked and worked out you weren't.apologies mate, was giving you advice you don't need. Sorry Jas

Xpress

Mar 8, 2013
I've also requested that the hws, water pump and battery isolation switches all be placed above bench height when I placed my order for the same reason - just asking for trouble with kids in the default location. The dealer seemed fairly confident this would occur but I'm not holding my breath on this one and guess I will find out the answer when the van is delivered in August. Will just relocate them myself if it's not done at the factory.

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Well I called head office and informed them of my request here in Perth, they said they'll look into it. Got a call back from the dealer here stating that I now can have the Drifter control panel but they still can't relocate it due to the van layout and there is no other position to put it. I'm sensing a bit of b@':$!!t and that its all too hard.

Im wondering if all the wiring harnesses are pre made to size and is a bit to hard to figure out how to extend or shorten the loom. However if its been done for others it should be possible. Starting to get frustrated with Jayco at the Moment.

Neil

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Neil, sounds like bs to me, have you showed them expandas pic? Keep on to them mate and hopefully they'll give! We wanted a L shape lounge in our 18-57-6 (not offered) and they said they couldn't do it until I emailed a pic off trading post that had one previously done by Jayco, guess what happened next.....ok we can do it!

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Well I called head office and informed them of my request here in Perth, they said they'll look into it. Got a call back from the dealer here stating that I now can have the Drifter control panel but they still can't relocate it due to the van layout and there is no other position to put it. I'm sensing a bit of b@':$!!t and that its all too hard.

Im wondering if all the wiring harnesses are pre made to size and is a bit to hard to figure out how to extend or shorten the loom. However if its been done for others it should be possible. Starting to get frustrated with Jayco at the Moment.

Neil
Yep.... It is the one up hill battle that you see time and time again as soon as you ask for deviation from standard. Dog with a bone Neil. Don't give up just yet.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast

Neil
I rang Setec and asked the question about the loom. They only supply one type of loom to Jayco for all vans, and then jayco either loop remaining wire or cut the excess.

Setec believed Jayco just loop up the excess wire....

It is easy enough the extend the loom, if you are handy with a soldering iron and a screwdriver. Otherwise it would take an Auto Electrician an hour to do.;)