Confused about towing

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
hi guys, I have a hi lux with 2.5T tow capacity 2014 hilux. I have a delux bar, winch, lights, canopy, aluminium trade rack and double drawer set up. Just purchased a 2016 17.56.1 OB which Jayco says weighs 2.1T. 2 adults, 2kids about 200kg. Do I need to upgrade my vehicle?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
image.jpeg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Been over this so many times here even if you upgrade your car cant change what it can tow like a prado same problem for them all i can say dont belive jayco and there weights get your van weighed and the tow ball weight and only then will you know the truth about how much it weighs there a big van to have behind a prado or hilux my prado dose tow it well but i think its far from ideal weigh the van empty then full and tow ball both times then you will know but air bags and better springs and a WDH will go a long way weigh it on a multi deck weigh bridge wheel on one deck jocky wheel on another disconect car and you'll have a pretty good idea of its weight

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Strongly suggest you check all the weights of both vehicle and van very carefully and get your head around the effect of all options added.

The extras on vehicle affect payload, the tow ball weight comes off that as well and all the extras on the van have an impact as well.

Better to be safe rather than sorry.

There are several threads that address the weight issue...but it is a minefield and can be difficult to understand, but worth the effort.

From the info given, I'd guess you'd be well and truly over the payload limit.
:oops:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As the others have said............................this will explain all the terms and after study you may get your head around it, have panadol and a calculator handy..........http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/understanding-caravan-towing-capacity/

It also has an Ebook on the subject and other good info.

Short answer for your Hi Lux is No and a suspension upgrade wouldn't really bring it into line.
My rule of thumb is knock 500kg off the tow cap and that will usually be what you can tow when your fully loaded up.
With a 2.5t tow cap once you load your tug up with family and gear it pulls the ball weight and tow cap down, you never want to to at near the max limits and the compliance plate on yur van will more than likely be incorrect in regards to all info other than the VIN, well I have seen them wrong too.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I remember you going through this exercise the other year............
maybe should have brought that Jheep..............

in answer to your question (in easy to understand engrish) - your Hilux will not be legal to tow the 17"

unless the car is empty and so is the Van
(only because the weight of the front Bar, roof rack, winch, ball weight etc all comes OFF your allowable 2.5T (2.8T dont remember) towing capacity)

hard to understand Legal explanation = Car GVM + Van GVM = GCM

Car GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) (Total weight of your car & passengers & load)
+ Van GVM (Total weight of your fully loaded Van)
= GCM (Gross Combined Mass) (Total of Both)
this, in your case with the Hilux will be over your allowable GCM

even if it was just under your limit, you would then be pulling the guts out of the engine to start moving, keep moving and trying to stop.........
not a good idea IMHO

the thing to watch out for is that most of the new generation of dual cab utes have similar GCM even though they have varied Towing Capacity

if funds permit, best be looking at the Pajero / Jheep / Landcuiser / Discovery - Range Rover to get the Maximum GCM and be safe

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as others have said, take the Van to a weigh bridge, and get it weighed before you start adding and modifing
get the mass of it empty
get the tow ball weight

then you can have an honest look at what you will need to upgrade to

Reactions: dagree