Colorado dual cab ute - auto or manual???

Benno

Dec 3, 2014
Victoria
We're buying a Colarado LTZ dual cab ute. Need to let the dealer know tomorrow if we want a manual or auto and I can't decide between the two. There seems to be pros & cons for both so thought I'd throw it out here to see what others recommend. It will be towing our Expanda OB 17.56.1. Which would do the job better - manual or auto???

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Benno.... My Colorado is an auto and I wouldn't have the manual for quids. For a start, according to the tech specs you get more "torques" as Jeremy Clarkson would say. The manual isn't rated to 500Nm. Secondly, the auto far more compliant and pleasant to drive around town and highway without the van. And with the 6 gears it seems ratio'd pretty well. And last of all when towing, I start off in manual and then when up to speed I slot it across to manual mode and simply manually shift from 5 to 4 when required. Trying to recall if I've ever shifted back to 3... Don't believe so.

So for me mate, it'd be auto all the way.

In respect to the trans-cooler, I was explicitly told that they didn't need one. I'm sure it can't hurt though, but I can't monitor trans temp (yet) so I happily live in ignorant bliss at the moment...

Reactions: Drover and Benno

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
I've been towing our 20.63.1 with the auto and it does the job well.. Pretty much drive it in manual on the highway just changing between 4th and 5th.. The chip has made it even better to drive and same as @Smergen said. The Holden guys told me not to worry about a trans cooler..

Reactions: Benno and Smergen

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
The only two advantages I see with manual over auto are fuel consumption (in traffic only) and low range offroad engine braking.
The auto provides better drivability particularly in traffic, ease of reversing particularly with van attached. Better offroad ascent driving, more forgiving river crossing, lower cabin noise and vibration and better resale.
No brainer for me.
A sports car however. Manual all the way.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I to have the auto in the Colorado and wasn't impressed with the manual, but hey drive both and see what you think.

If you get a auto, just up the tramision fluid changes every 30 thousand like I do if your towing a van all of the time. I have done this without a issue so far. Infact neither has my mate with the same Colorado and same fluid change cycles. He has done 165 thousand and that's all towing kms with a excavator in tow.

What I also have noticed since having the UNICHIP installed my trans temps has dropped by 10 degrease and the motor is running cooler as well. But in saying that when I do the next trip up north I am going to invest in transmission cooler just to be safe.
Yes I was also told by Holden don't worry about a oil cooler but every transmission place I talk to that repairs these 6 speed autos all recommend a trans cooler.

Back on topic : Auto for us!

Reactions: Benno

Benno

Dec 3, 2014
Victoria
@Benno.... My Colorado is an auto and I wouldn't have the manual for quids. For a start, according to the tech specs you get more "torques" as Jeremy Clarkson would say. The manual isn't rated to 500Nm. Secondly, the auto far more compliant and pleasant to drive around town and highway without the van. And with the 6 gears it seems ratio'd pretty well. And last of all when towing, I start off in manual and then when up to speed I slot it across to manual mode and simply manually shift from 5 to 4 when required. Trying to recall if I've ever shifted back to 3... Don't believe so.

In respect to the trans-cooler, I was explicitly told that they didn't need one. I'm sure it can't hurt though, but I can't monitor trans temp (yet) so I happily live in ignorant bliss at the moment...

G'day mate just wanting to know what you mean by starting of in manual and then when up to speed slot it across to manual and shift from 5 to 4 when required? Also do you use the 6 gear at all when towing?
Cheers

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Sorry mate, I meant start off in auto, and then slide it across. So when I'm towing around town I just let the gearbox do all the selecting. Only out on the highway do I take control and bump it up and down.

I never go near 6.

Reactions: Benno

Benno

Dec 3, 2014
Victoria
Sorry mate, I meant start off in auto, and then slide it across. So when I'm towing around town I just let the gearbox do all the selecting. Only out on the highway do I take control and bump it up and down.

I never go near 6.

Thanks for that makes more sense now thanks for your help.
Cheers

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I'm just going to put it out there.
The old story of not towing in overdrive may be valid for manual boxes. Not becsuse they are weaker than an auto, but because a non sympathetic driver will overload the gear by not changing down when required.
An auto cannot do this! It automatically changes down when the load dictates it.
Towing at a lower gear than this, particularly with the manual function of an auto box can actually inadvertently creat the fail condition of s manual box!!!
Just let your auto do what it wants to do.

Benno

Dec 3, 2014
Victoria
Picked up the new tug on Friday - very impressed so far. Can't wait to hook the panda up and see how it performs!

11695527_1419065038421305_6845097473060077717_n.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Just let your auto do what it wants to do.

Thought I might follow this up... After Soaring's post above, his thoughts kept ringing in my head a little (like that really stupid song on the radio you can't quite shake) and thought I would try it out towing the van up to Ballarat and back for its service.

To be honest, there was only a few times I would have chosen a gear at slightly different times. Interestingly it chose sixth a few times, something I wouldn't do at any stage. Still, the truck didn't struggle and chose back down when appropriate.