14' Series Cleaning the hard lid

Prydey

Apr 24, 2018
Woodcroft, Adelaide.
My hardlid has started to look a bit ordinary. A bit dull and in need of a polish.

I bought some meguiars marine rv polish

This works great on the sides and rear, however I'm not having much luck on the front. The front fiberglass is obviously different in some way. The polish is having a small impact but not enough to get rid of the aged look. Meguiars also do an oxidisation remover and a colour restorer in the same line of marine rv products however I don't want to just keep buying products in the hope one will work.

I don't have a machine so need a product that can be applied by hand.

What do you use?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The lids are proper fibreglass with gel coating, try a good rub down by hand with a cut and polish using a bit of water as well to get any grime out, then a good wash down, then give it a go with the Maguires, probably need a few coats of it, each with a good buffing, nice terry towelling I like....... I did my old rig with Septone Boat and fibreglass polish. if it doesn't come up and still looks a bit old then a good clean up to remove all polish and residue, then a coat or 2 of a automotive clear coat will bring back the shine but preperation is the make or break, ideally remove the lid and do it inside when no wind or dust/pollen around or take it to a body shop, be more resistant to road grime/rocks.

Reactions: Prydey

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
As mentioned Steptone fibreglass extra cut works. Bcf sell it. Just follow up with a wax/polish after.
With mine i also had black mould spots no polish would remove, but with extra care exit mould gets it off

Reactions: Prydey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As mentioned Steptone fibreglass extra cut works. Bcf sell it. Just follow up with a wax/polish after.
With mine i also had black mould spots no polish would remove, but with extra care exit mould gets it off

I like the Septone stuff seems to last longer, Exit Mould is probably just what I need to get rid of the black dots I'm getting on the plastic bits like tank filler and outside power points, don't know why I didn't think to use it...................

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
Yeah ive used exit mould in a few areas on the van. But use carefully and sparingly. Dont put on anything you are not cleaning and wash down with plenty of water. My a/c vent was weathered and turning black with nothing able to clean. Taped up around it sprayed, left for 3 minutes and washed off, came out like new. Also used on hatch doors, handles and the rubber strips in the edge trim. I water it down if i use on the pop top canvas