Cheese Damper in the Thermal Cooker

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Thought I'd have a bit of a fiddle with the thermal cooker and try a damper in it. Really happy with the outcome!

The first thing to do is to half fill the large innerpot with water and bring to the boil whist preparing the following.
The rough recipe was,
1) Half fill the small inner pot with S.R. flour
2) Add a teaspoon of baking soda and a good pinch of salt
3) Mix the dry ingrediants well
4) Form a hole in the centre and add a tablespoon of cooking oil, an egg and add milk untill you have a dough of the correct consistancy
5) Remove the dough from the small inner pot and kneed it until your happy with the mix
6) Place the dough mix back into the small inner pot, top with cheese if you want, put the lid on.
7) Place the small pot onto the big pot and continue a slow boil for 10 mins
8) put the inner pots in the outer pot and close the lid

I opened it after 6 hours and had a nice warm damper as pictured
Damper3.JPGDamper1.JPGDamper2.JPG

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I also use the cast iron cooker for baked dinners.

Instead of throwing it on the hot coals, I put my cast iron camp cooker on the gas hot plate, smallest burner, lowest setting and cook lamb casserole. 4 lamb steaks, onion, tin of tomatoes, slow cooker mix, spuds and pumpkin. Leave for an hour and presto, magnificent camp dinner. Just add pasta. {Brown steaks before adding to stew}

Ozwitch

May 15, 2012
Melbourne
God, my damper was something out of a horror movie. I've been too scared to try it again, but will follow your instructions and see. It couldn't be any worse. Yours looks lovely!