Checker Plate

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
G'day all,

Looking at sprucing up the old 2010 Expands by painting the checker plate.

Looking for tips from anyone that has done it. I'd imagine give it a good clean and then etch primer, but don't know what might be the best paint to put on and whether or not to put on a matte finish or gloss.

Thanks
Geoff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On the front if its plain alloy, don't polish it or it will remind you each time you look in the mirror on a sunny day, I would use a stone chip paint, Septone has it in a couple of colours, I used it on my 14.44 to redo the front panel which was done in a grey stone chip paint originally, worked well as it stops the rocks making dents, well most of them anyway....... comes in white, grey and black that I know of. Its not like underbody paint either.

1670112911937.png

If the sides are painted then its just a normal clean up and any good quality exterior auto paint, gloss is my preference as it is harder to stain.... if its just plain alloy if you have polisher then use that, either way you will have to revisit often....... its alloy not stainless...

Reactions: garfield28

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
On the front if its plain alloy, don't polish it or it will remind you each time you look in the mirror on a sunny day, I would use a stone chip paint, Septone has it in a couple of colours, I used it on my 14.44 to redo the front panel which was done in a grey stone chip paint originally, worked well as it stops the rocks making dents, well most of them anyway....... comes in white, grey and black that I know of. Its not like underbody paint either.

View attachment 68750

If the sides are painted then its just a normal clean up and any good quality exterior auto paint, gloss is my preference as it is harder to stain.... if its just plain alloy if you have polisher then use that, either way you will have to revisit often....... its alloy not stainless...

Thanks Drover