Change of tow vehicle

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Unfortunatly due to (as some here know) circumstances I've had to buy a tow vehicle low to the ground which means the Landcruiser has to be immediately reitired from towing the van :( .
Looked at I reckon every 4wd etc but have still found them to be too high for our circumstances, so I tried a different avenue and have found something that may suit.

Now heres the part I want an opinion on?
Have already discussed with a good friend from this site but here goes:

The car Im looking at has a towing confiuration of 250kg ball and 2500kg.
My van has a Tare weight of 1664 and towball weight of 240kg.
My van also gets lighter on the ball when loaded as it is a sort of mini toy hauler where most of the gear goes in the back plus I use a 275kg HR WDH.
Does the 240kg on 250kg sound to close?

One thing is I have ballweight scales and the van has never been over 250 when I have left for a hol!

cheers

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@hamish22 I have been looking at what vehicle I might consider as a tug once I decide to retire my 100 series.

I've been looking at the Grand Cherokee, but despite getting lots for your money, I have concerns with the longevity of any American vehicle, so pretty much ruled them out.

Having driven Japanese vehicles most of my life, and knowing how reliable they are, I'm now looking at a BT50.

Looking at the top of the range BT50 at $50,000 new vs a Landcruiser at $100,000 + is a really good option.

But I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions here between Jeeps, BT50's, Ford Rangers, Colorado's or Isuzu's is seeming endless.

Good luck with the hunt.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
@Bellbirdweb

Thanks for the reply, but I think you may have misunderstood what I'm asking.

I was just after opinions on the ballweight side of things as I have to forgo a largish 4wd due to height!

cheers

Now heres the part I want an opinion on?
Have already discussed with a good friend from this site but here goes:

My van also gets lighter on the ball when loaded as it is a sort of mini toy hauler where most of the gear goes in the back plus I use a 275kg HR WDH.
Does the 240kg on 250kg sound to close?

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi Hamish22,

I had a similar situation before and had to change my tow vehicle from Jeep to a Land Cruiser 200 recently. I have a 17.52 expanda and have a toolbox on top and the spare wheel underneath the draw bar increasing the tow ball weight to 280 - 290kg. Whilst the Jeep had the 3,500kg /350kg towing capacity with five people in the car I struggled to keep it levelled. (and I am not a big fan of WD Hitches as I do a bit of off-road).

In my opinion, if your tow vehicle is only rated 250kg (on tow ball) you are pushing your luck and the vehicle will struggle unless you spend $$ to upgrade the suspension system. Your dilemma will be you'd only have 10kg to play around just in case if the weight increases for some reason.

Hope this helps (This is my opinion only but it is always good to get professional help from places like ARB or Pedders)
cheers TRAKADU

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I think if you can prove that you fall within the limits (by checking with your scales) then you should be fine.

There are heaps of non 4wds towing out there, commodores, Xtrails etc, they would all be near the limit. I think as long as the limit is not exceeded and you can prove that then you should be fine. The down side is it may be dragging its bum if at the limit, but the WDH should help there.

Good luck with the hunt and I hope you find the car to suit your needs.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
So is the 240 kg, the "Empty Ball Mass" of your van or the "Max Ball Loading" as stated on your Compliance plate?
If the worst is to happen, insurance will use any excuse to get out of paying. If your van is spread all over the highway, you cant prove your ball loading was less than your tugs allowance, they will use the "Max Ball Loading" as the figure.

Having driven Japanese vehicles most of my life, and knowing how reliable they are, I'm now looking at a BT50.
You do understand the BT50 was designed by Ford in the Ford Australia Office, and is built at the joint plant in Thailand (AAT) that builds both the BT50 and the Ranger on the same line, right? Not saying the BT or the Ranger does not have what is perceived as "Japanese reliability", but both of these vehicles are as far from "Japanese" as you can get.
If you want Japanese, go for the Isuzu DMAX. While it is also built just down the road from the Ford and Mazda (and Colorado)It has at least had significant input from the the Japanese head office.

Reactions: Matty4

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
I think if you can prove that you fall within the limits (by checking with your scales) then you should be fine.

There are heaps of non 4wds towing out there, commodores, Xtrails etc, they would all be near the limit. I think as long as the limit is not exceeded and you can prove that then you should be fine. The down side is it may be dragging its bum if at the limit, but the WDH should help there.

Good luck with the hunt and I hope you find the car to suit your needs.
Its a v8 AWD! and sits that little bit higher than a normal car!

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
So is the 240 kg, the "Empty Ball Mass" of your van or the "Max Ball Loading" as stated on your Compliance plate?
If the worst is to happen, insurance will use any excuse to get out of paying. If your van is spread all over the highway, you cant prove your ball loading was less than your tugs allowance, they will use the "Max Ball Loading" as the figure..

The 240kg is the empty ball mass 270 is maximum!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @hamish22
its a question that is well worth asking. I am a little concerned if the max weight on your plate is higher than your tow vehicles max (from an insurance /legal point of view only) but i am no expert.
I wish you all the best in your search

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Hi @hamish22
its a question that is well worth asking. I am a little concerned if the max weight on your plate is higher than your tow vehicles max (from an insurance /legal point of view only) but i am no expert.
I wish you all the best in your search

Cheers Mate!
Have pretty much decided to sell up after easter so wont be needing to look into it any further!

Reactions: cruza driver

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
My only other suggestion is before you buy one try and fit the kids in the back and go for a drive, there ain't a lotta room in there!!!
My brother has an SS crewman with the 6lt and tows 2.5T all day every day as a roof tiler, he gets around 350k's from a tank too...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Cross 8 should do it................probably upgrade the suspension though.

@hamish22
I've been looking at the Grand Cherokee, but despite getting lots for your money, I have concerns with the longevity of any American vehicle, so pretty much ruled them out.
I might add that my Jeep while built in Austria, is nearly 10 yrs old 250,000k's and has never failed to proceed and still going strong.

Reactions: bigcol

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Cross 8 should do it................probably upgrade the suspension though.

I might add that my Jeep while built in Austria, is nearly 10 yrs old 250,000k's and has never failed to proceed and still going strong.

Can't say the same for the near new one I saw on the side of the road on the Steve Irwin Way on ramp to the Bruce highway this afternoon!

BJ.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
My only other suggestion is before you buy one try and fit the kids in the back and go for a drive, there ain't a lotta room in there!!!
My brother has an SS crewman with the 6lt and tows 2.5T all day every day as a roof tiler, he gets around 350k's from a tank too...
They have a rather small tank unfortunatly, but Ive owned an Adventra and know what to expect.
Shame neither of them took off!

On the other side, the tow capacity won be ample enough as I am cautious like most here so have canned that idea.

Van is now for sale and should get it posted up in for sale section very soon!

Been fun caravaning over the years but at this point I think its drawing to a close!:(