CGear Multimats

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Does anyone have any experience with these mats? Thinking of getting one for the new Panda.

Are there other cheaper options. Haven't been to bunnings or BCF yet......any options there that people find are pretty good?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have one and love it, but I must admit I haven't tried a cheaper one.
Camec have one that is half the price, but I reckon you get what you pay for.
Plus, you can land a helicopter on the multimat, which may come in handy one day...

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Plus, you can land a helicopter on the multimat, which may come in handy one day...

Gold !!

was going to get one but ended with a cheapy Coast version from the camping show...trying it out next week but still thinking shoulda gone the cgear

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I bought the cgear this time around also, very happy with it, light and dries quickly. I won't put it down over small rock again though as it left indentations in it. Worth the dollars I recon and yeah the helicopter sold me too! :)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Not allowed a helicopter at the moment.:wink-47:
Got the cheapy (around $100 from memory) and so far so good (over 12 months on now). Quick sweep does the cleaning job. Hose it occasionally when home. Mrs XF made calico bag to keep it in, along with a 2.5m x 4m poly tarp as an underlay if needed.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Next time Aldi have those rubber type mats that go together like a jigsaw puzzle I'll buy more for those sites with small rocks!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Next time Aldi have those rubber type mats that go together like a jigsaw puzzle I'll buy more for those sites with small rocks!
Jigsaw's the word. But yes, have had some for a few years and use at the beach for the long summer holiday. Peg then down with otherwise useless aluminum tent pegs.

Reactions: Burnsy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Jigsaw's the word. But yes, have had some for a few years and use at the beach for the long summer holiday. Peg then down with otherwise useless aluminum tent pegs.

Those Aldi ones are bigger than the others, we bought 1 pack of 6 and wish I had of bought another 2 packs......18 squares (3 packs) would of done the area for the awning/annexe on the 18' and they don't have the holes in them!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Those Aldi ones are bigger than the others, we bought 1 pack of 6 and wish I had of bought another 2 packs......18 squares (3 packs) would of done the area for the awning/annexe on the 18' and they don't have the holes in them!
Watch for the catalogue I reckon. Might upgrade too.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
We bought a cheaper mat from Award RV at the caravan show last year...regretted it!!! Have since bought a CGear and love it. We haven't landed a helicopter on ours (yet!!) but four kids, bikes, a canoe, stoves, tables, chairs etc have been all over it no problems. They do cost a bit, but worth it imo

Cheers, James

Reactions: Burnsy

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
We have a CGear mat and yeah it is great, works best on a sandy site as it doesnt let the sand come up through the mat I'll try landing the Helicopter on it next time I have it out ;)

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Do jayco dealerships stock these?

Any ideas where i could pick one up?

Or is ebay my friend?

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
We have had ours for a few years now, the first test for it was when we were camping on Fraser Island.
FANTASTIC !! I swear we didn't get any sand in the van at all, it shows its true value on sand & dusty campsites.
We have used it on small rocky / small stick grounds & yeah it leaves / creates dimples in the mat but they are gone the next time you use it.

Highly recommend, you get what you pay for

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Been vanning recently with friends and got to try out few types before I buy the another mat…

I have the rubberised PVC type – I purchased it from the Jayco Dealer (Coast to Coast brand) for $100 for 6m x 2.5m – it looks and feels just like the mat purchase in bulk from Bunning's and BCF (father in law has this stuff) at $40/m off the roll. IMO don’t pay $240 for the bulk roll matt as it’s definitely not worth double.

A friend had the C-Gear and another a home-made mat made out of shade-cloth (they purchased in bulk from Bunning’s and stitched themselves). I haven’t tried the Camec type so can’t comment.

I reckon:
  • On a site with a concrete slab and grassed areas – PVC rubber was my favourite. Having with a crawler and toddler getting around it feels a bit softer (making it easier on the hands and knees). The grass and dirt from foot traffic swept off easily. Had about a 2m off the slab in hard dirt/gravel and had the Webber Q set up on this area - it wasn’t an issue with anything coming up through the mat. It didn't rain on the trip so can say what it's like to roll up wet...
  • C-Gear and shade-cloth is a bit harder on the hand and knees when chasing the kids – not an issue if you don’t spend all day chasing the kidlets around... Definitely wouldn’t go with shade cloth as it felt a bit slippery under foot because it was doubled over… (and I can’t sew).
  • C-Gear is definitely the best for sandy sites – mate showed me how the sand disappears thorough the top and stays down and said it was tough-as after years of use. I will definitely be purchasing one of the C-Gear mats for trips off the beaten track.
Cheers

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
C Gear here too, done heaps of miles and is still like new! we bought from Carac in Dandenong as their price was the best