Car Insurance

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi , being new to camping I was wondering do I need special car insurance or just insurance on the caravan ? we just bought a 14.44.5 and just want to know we are doing the right thing .Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated , Thanks

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
G'day Jed and welcome, you just have to get the van insured as well, most people have their insurance with the same company as their car. Ours are with racv.

jed

May 16, 2013
G'day Jed and welcome, you just have to get the van insured as well, most people have their insurance with the same company as their car. Ours are with racv.

Hi Matt, thanks mate we are also with RACV so I will check with them just before we pick up our van .so great having a site like this when you are new to camping ,thanks again
cheers

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi Matt, thanks mate we are also with RACV so I will check with them just before we pick up our van .so great having a site like this when you are new to camping ,thanks again
cheers
Just remember to always make sure your car and van isn`t overloaded or unroadworthy eg bald tyres and the like (insurance companies like to get out of paying when they can). cheers Matt.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
nit sure how it works in Vic, but also consider covering the van with roadside assist. For example, in NSW, if you have a basic membership with NRMA it doesnt cover towing the van if your car breaks down. This means you would need to pay for the van to be towed or leave it at the side of the road etc. Worth covering, I reckon, for a few extra $$$

jed

May 16, 2013
Just remember to always make sure your car and van isn`t overloaded or unroadworthy eg bald tyres and the like (insurance companies like to get out of paying when they can). cheers Matt.
thanks Matt the car and van are both new so no worries there and i'll watch how I load the van up
cheers mate

jed

May 16, 2013
nit sure how it works in Vic, but also consider covering the van with roadside assist. For example, in NSW, if you have a basic membership with NRMA it doesnt cover towing the van if your car breaks down. This means you would need to pay for the van to be towed or leave it at the side of the road etc. Worth covering, I reckon, for a few extra $$$
Hi Relgate :) we bought a new 14.44.5 and its covered by roadside assist for 1 year so all is good and thanks for the info ,there's so much to learn being new to this and its great to have a site like this to get the info without feeling a bit daaaaa lol

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Relgate :) we bought a new 14.44.5 and its covered by roadside assist for 1 year so all is good and thanks for the info ,there's so much to learn being new to this and its great to have a site like this to get the info without feeling a bit daaaaa lol

Yes there is a lot to know, so this forum is an invaluable resource.

With regard to towing, I wonder if the Jayco roadside assist covers towing your van if there is nothing wrong with it. For example, if your car is towed and your van is fine, will they tow it with your car? Here is a quote from the Jayco website.
Emergency Towing
If your RV is immobilised, we will arrange for your RV to be towed by a service provider to the nearest suitable repairer. You must be in attendance at your RV to assist and advise the service provider. In the event your RV is unattended, further service calls may be required which will be at your expense.
You will be reimbursed by Jayco Roadside Assist for emergency towing costs up to a maximum benefit of $1,000 including GST per incident. Any additional towing and transport costs will be at your own expense and responsibility. You will also be responsible for the cost of any repairs to your RV as a result of the immobilisation.
Anyone had any experience with this?​

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yep definately get the extra road side assistance from your local service, (NRMA) for us being NSW. You are covered Nation wide, I speak from personal experience that happened to me back in 07 with my previous vehicle and camper when we only had basic cover.

long Story but basically our vehicle became immobilized after incident while 4 wheel driving on the South Coast, after we recovered it back to a point where the tow truck could access it, it was towed back to town (Moryua) as it was weekend after hours by the time it arrived in town it was stored at the towies garage, The first tow was $250 ontop of NRMA allowance this, included the same towie delivering it to local mechanic on the Monday morning.

We then got a lift with a fellow travellers back to the van park where we were staying for the weekend (South Durras)
as well as getting a ride home with them while the camper stayed behind at the CP stored for 2 weeks free of charge before a friend generously offered to towing back has he was going that way to visit family, naturally I gave him fuel money which he refused to take, so I posted him a gift card.

The mechanic in Moryua got the car going again 2 wks later it was stuffed, it was driveable but not good enough to risk to trip home, it was another week before a passing car carrier could retreive the car at $300 to bring it back to a local worshop for repair, fortunately the return on the car carrier and the repair was covered by insurance.

Which brings me to another point, if tow with a 4x4 on do go off- roading ensure it is covered for OFF-ROAD some dont.