QLD Camping: Cooloola Recreation Reserve/Teewah beach/Double Island

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As of 02FEB21 QPWS have brought in new rules for booking and camping in the Cooloola Recreation Reserve, often known as Teewah beach, Double Island Point, Freshwater.....
Teewah beach has been broken up into 7 camping zones plus Freshwaterand reports are that not all zones will be open due sand slips and regeneration....... so read up and book early:...............and with number plate recognition well could be costly....

and since Mudlo Rocks is impassable and no way I'm going to bounce down Freshwater Track, there's no pics plus I haven't renewed my permit anyway.........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It seems the beach and camping permits are being checked, making sure you are camped in the right spot is being policed along Teewah, fines handed out for not having a beach permit, some finding them in the mail box when they get home Ive been told, the cameras have paid for themselves already..................
Mudlo at Rainbow is still dicey though today I watched as some fools went thru the water, a good 2 ft in places to get around the point, might be okay in a creek but this is Grade A1 Pacific Ocean, can only class them as fools with one nearly not getting thru so the Tow truck should be getting some custom again this weekend.
Took pics but stuffed up with the new phone.......................

Reactions: 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well an update on the latest from QNPWS regarding the Cooloola Recreation Area of Great Sandy NP, camping areas are still reduced it seems but from OCTOBER 12th all campers are now required to have a dunny with them, the Porta Potti is a must, no holes in sand and shovel jobbies, dump points are at Freshwater Camp (4kms) and at the Noosa end of the beach (35kms away), no dunny could cost you $413 fine ...................... Spy cam is working well it seems with many getting hit with fines for not having a permit, speeding but still the brain dead roll up to destroy their vehicles and donate to the QLD Govt..............

Laughable thing is a Group called Cooloola Coast Care is worried it will lead to illegal dumping, really ???? what do think happens to the #2's now, idiots.......

So its Take your rubbish and Poo with you when you leave, thank you, have a nice day ................ Hopefully it works as its been Septic Camping for a few years now, very few old campers will go there now all due to Poo...........

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
An older thread but being fairly new here just read it. Really glad to read the local Shire Council is getting tough on this sort of thing.
There needs to be more policing of those that don't care much about the next camping family and are seem happy to foul pristine beach dunes with barely covered jobbies and dirty toilet paper left to blow around. (there was a name coined for that stuff just can't remember it)

Having camped at Teewah a fe4w times I get pretty peeved with the carelessness, Bribie's Ocean Beach is worse as there are dozens and dozens of day trippers that go for the day and use the dunes as a public toilet. Number one's are fine, it's the number two's that are disgusting and unhygienic.

Fraser Island unfortunately can be very much the same in some places, we set up camp only to find used toilet paper caught in bushes and half buried.
Like Drover we have always used a portable loo for even day trips with one of those pop up privacy tent things that are a mongrel to get back in to the cover they come out of....it isn't really all that hard to do the right thing...

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Same litter problem everywhere .The great free camp spots on the Clarence River ,Lilydale,Cangai,Yates Crossing,like cess pits after holidays.Broken bottles,turd paper ,dog s…..t ,general rubbish plus soiled nappies everywhere. I do not know what the solution is ,education hasnt worked !

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Same litter problem everywhere .The great free camp spots on the Clarence River ,Lilydale,Cangai,Yates Crossing,like cess pits after holidays.Broken bottles,turd paper ,dog s…..t ,general rubbish plus soiled nappies everywhere. I do not know what the solution is ,education hasnt worked !
we met the same mess on the Murray in SA over the xmas period
we cleaned it and the rubbish bag went into the bins supplied on the way out
i cant understand why people do it

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I try to remember to take a spare rubbish bag with me when going on to the beach or on day trips. and pick up litter around where I stop.

It is a real shame that there are so many bone lazy people around that just don't pick up after them selves....or even educate their kids for that matter, the next generation of campers. It bugs me when setting up camp the number of bottle tops and used cable ties left where they fall...

The saddest sight I think that is becoming far too common, is over full road side bins spilling contents all around, with more bags of rubbish just dumped beside them. Why is it that so many people seem to not give a damn and will leave full bags of their rubbish beside already full roadside bins...is it just too hard to keep the rubbish on board until a suitable place is found to dump it?
Worse, there will often be fouled disposable nappies making up some of the mess. These things are becoming an environmental nightmare...bring back cloth nappies please where mothers kept them after changing the kid and took soiled nappies home for washing...just as we did.

Eventually Councils will not pay additional employees to clean up soiled camp sites and will be forced to take extreme action affecting all the responsible people as well, by closing down some great camp sites just to protect the environment.

As the saying goes, all you should ever leave behind are footprints...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not wrong @Hitting the road , we have been camping at Teewah Beach since the kids were kids, a long time ago, even way back then we would be taking a bag of others rubbish off the beach and now living here there is always a bag in the back which if we head to Double Island/ Teewah usually gets loaded up the less touristy areas not so much............... Once they sealed the roads right up to the beach the great unwashed have easy access and the problem multiplied. QPWS wont close down the Cooloola Rec area as its a good money spinner for them but I can see access numbers having limits imposed on them but the Noosa Parks Association would like to see vehicle access banned entirely.
It is pleasing to see folk doing a bit of Emu Bobbing with bags in hand so all is not lost but the grubs have always been with us, just more of them now.

The Fire Ban for Teewah is still current along with portable Loo's for Teewah hopefully both will stay in place might stop a few bushfires trying to burn us locals out.......

Reactions: Hitting the road

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Maybe more 4wd clubs should get involved for "annual" clean ups to keep the beaches cleaner and show a care factor at the same time? There is an annual Fraser Island clean up where dozens of 4wd'ers turn up bags in hand and spend a couple of days picking up trash, both local and washed up.

Though I can see very soon more beaches will be closed to 4wd's and camping. More and more "green" wannabe Councillors are being elected, and many for what ever reason just don't want anybody to drive on a beach or camp in these naturally beautiful areas. Let's face it, it is for all of us to enjoy as we all pay taxes. To chain areas off and fine people for daring to visit what is their's anyway is wrong imo.

John Rooth that fellow that appeared on a few TV shows and videos lamented the loss of many attractive and popular 4wd destinations being closed off to 4wd's and visitors generally...why? As he commented a half decent storm will do far more damage to trees and the local grounds than a few 4wd's and people ever will...

Drover, I note you are a Jeep man too...I have been through a CJ5, then a CJ7 V8, on to an XJ GC Sport, a WJ GC 4.7L HO Overland, then a WH GC 5.7L Overland and now a CRD WK2 Laredo...love my Jeeps...

Reactions: BJM and Drover

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Ignorance,arrogance or just brain dead ! The people who litter go to these free camps to enjoy the
great outdoors yet destroy the place they go to see.!Say anything to some of these boofheads and they threaten you
with a belt around the ear ,or their dog is looking for a meal.Anybody noticed now that you also have to take away one or two dogs ? I might add owned a dog,but too many in caravan parks.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I suppose you could say I'm a Jeep fella, Grands are great rigs but have turned into Toorak tractors now, just saying CJ makes my back twinge, :) but an XJ would be nice to have as my beach/bush hack for sure.....................

Way back in the late 70's we were fighting to keep places open in Morton NP in NSW and the battle has continued, on a trip into the park some yob portraying himself as a bird photographer wanted us to drive up a back for a photo shoot, we declined and said its not on ............ Imagine his surprise when we look at each other across the table at the next conference about NP entry, the Rangers were then able to put a name to the fella in our report enticing people to drive off the track............... Here on Teewah and Fraser they still speed, kill themselves and destroy their vehicles in the salt water at Mudlo and I very much doubt they will change their habits, they are the same idiots we see on the streets...

This years clean up is 5/6th March by the Cooloola FWD Club and Rainbow Beach Surf Club with Innskip Clean Up on the Sat and Teewah on the Sunday, they have a camp at Innskip, MV Natone I think it is.........................we also have a Teewah/DI clean up around Sept by the Sunny Coast Surfriders mob and heaps of folk get into it...........

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
I suppose you could say I'm a Jeep fella, Grands are great rigs but have turned into Toorak tractors now, just saying CJ makes my back twinge, :) but an XJ would be nice to have as my beach/bush hack for sure.....................

Way back in the late 70's we were fighting to keep places open in Morton NP in NSW and the battle has continued, on a trip into the park some yob portraying himself as a bird photographer wanted us to drive up a back for a photo shoot, we declined and said its not on ............ Imagine his surprise when we look at each other across the table at the next conference about NP entry, the Rangers were then able to put a name to the fella in our report enticing people to drive off the track............... Here on Teewah and Fraser they still speed, kill themselves and destroy their vehicles in the salt water at Mudlo and I very much doubt they will change their habits, they are the same idiots we see on the streets...

This years clean up is 5/6th March by the Cooloola FWD Club and Rainbow Beach Surf Club with Innskip Clean Up on the Sat and Teewah on the Sunday, they have a camp at Innskip, MV Natone I think it is.........................we also have a Teewah/DI clean up around Sept by the Sunny Coast Surfriders mob and heaps of folk get into it...........

This years clean up is 5/6th March by the Cooloola FWD Club and Rainbow Beach Surf Club with Innskip Clean Up on the Sat and Teewah on the Sunday, they have a camp at Innskip, MV Natone I think it is.........................we also have a Teewah/DI clean up around Sept by the Sunny Coast Surfriders mob and heaps of folk get into it..........

I wasn't aware of that...I'll follow those dates up, maybe I can get on board too...thanks Drover

Yes, Jeep has gone the wrong way imo too...the WJ GC I had was fitted with LSD's front and rear, the WH GC had front and rear electronic LSD's that would actually lock. The WK2 lost all that unless you went to air suspension and got the WH set up in the rear only. Or as in my case with a poverty pack Laredo only the ABS based traction system....the new GC looks to be drifting further from the concept of a go anywhere SUV...

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think there was a write up in the Gympie Times about the clean ups as I marked tte calender........ I do my bit each time we go for a picnic lunch and even when out in the boat I scoop up quite a bit for the bin at the ramp......
My Laredo is a poverty pack and I think it leaves the others for dead, I don't need the gimmicky stuff and don't want it, better height and clearance is way better than some electronic rubbish,............... BUt its a better vehicle now it has a lift....

Last edited:
Reactions: mfexpanda

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
An older thread but being fairly new here just read it. Really glad to read the local Shire Council is getting tough on this sort of thing.
There needs to be more policing of those that don't care much about the next camping family and are seem happy to foul pristine beach dunes with barely covered jobbies and dirty toilet paper left to blow around. (there was a name coined for that stuff just can't remember it)

Having camped at Teewah a fe4w times I get pretty peeved with the carelessness, Bribie's Ocean Beach is worse as there are dozens and dozens of day trippers that go for the day and use the dunes as a public toilet. Number one's are fine, it's the number two's that are disgusting and unhygienic.

Fraser Island unfortunately can be very much the same in some places, we set up camp only to find used toilet paper caught in bushes and half buried.
Like Drover we have always used a portable loo for even day trips with one of those pop up privacy tent things that are a mongrel to get back in to the cover they come out of....it isn't really all that hard to do the right thing...
The name for jobbies and toilet paper around free camps is DESERT ROSES, on our last big trip we did the half loop (before covid) we started to find some really disgusting sights around the free camps, at first we blamed the back packers in their $100 whizz bangers, as the trip progressed our views changed to include very expensive motor homes driven and populated by super entitled people who believe that all others are their servants,we challenged one such couple who were dumping their Blackwater and leaving their bagged rubbish in the open on one of the old army camps on the Stuart highway, (Barrow creek) their response was to tell us to mind our own buisness as they were keeping a council worker in their job, the fact that some councils are making campers have chemical toilets is a step in the right direction, but bogan campers will not drive to the dump they will still dump the contents behind the dunes, saw that at Wallum creek, dump point at enterance/exit to free camp, bogan camper tipped the cassette into the creek beside where others were set up, makes you wonder about their their family tree ,

Last edited:

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Saw the same thing last year at Inskip point.Guy from one of the camps dumping his casette in the bushes,we were walking along the beach.Then further on there was a occupied humpy in amongst dead trees and undergrowth the bogan walked straight out to the water with his poo bucket and dumped it.Went into the info centre at Rainbow Bch asked for the rangers phone number to report it told the Ranger was to busy with other issues .!

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Saw the same thing last year at Inskip point.Guy from one of the camps dumping his casette in the bushes,we were walking along the beach.Then further on there was a occupied humpy in amongst dead trees and undergrowth the bogan walked straight out to the water with his poo bucket and dumped it.Went into the info centre at Rainbow Bch asked for the rangers phone number to report it told the Ranger was to busy with other issues .!
Unfortunately these are the people who will ensure many more areas are closed off totally to camping...I would imagine asking employees, ie Council workers, to go and clean up some one else's disgusting mess will only get more difficult...sad really. It isn't all that difficult to do the right thing...