17' Series Buying Ex-hire??

Jason McCulloch

Dec 19, 2013
Hello,
Just new to the forum, looking to buy an Expanda - highly recommended by many. Have been looking at varied second-hand Jaycos which suit our needs and have decided on a 17.56-2. Recently enquired on a 2011, 17.56-2 ex-hire van. It is fully optioned and looks good on paper (on-line). I am somewhat apprehensive about a second hand van with the amount of use that this one would obviously have. Anyone have input good or bad with regard to buying an ex-hire Jayco Expanda ?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
we service a local hire firm and talking to him he reckons the biggest problem is the outback sticker on the side of the vans ( he now removes them) ppl think you can drag the thing anywhere if it's a outback and they suffer for it, my recommendation is too pay a local service agent to check the van over and give you a report, we have been burnt a few times from trade-ins that need a full suspension rebuild or electrics replaced that the salesman didn't pickup at trade-in.
get them to check suspension completely on stands... any cracks anywhere in body work, these indicate too much flex, all things work as they should (or are simple repair, adjust price paid to suit) canvas in good nick, windows don't leak, tyre wear indicates chassis alignment issues, check bottom of intenal walls leaks are identified by water stains, check electrical system from tug to car and everything thereafter, HWS elements burn out from no water running, seteks have a common fault of not charging batteries but still working fine for all else. check the roof lifts and sits ok also check anything added to roof is sealed correctly, check for stains on inside ceiling for water leaks, check the awning and hardware operates as should. geezzz i could list a thousand other things to check as well :) in short get a expert to check it for you at your cost. you will be happier in the end

Reactions: davemc and relgate

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*
get it checked out if your the least bit interested - after a house and a car - it is a very large investment, and you would get both of those checked out before parting with coin.........

if the bark up at you wanting a detailed report from an independent assessor, you know its not the one...

cheers

jed

May 16, 2013
I would seriously look at the difference between the used price and new price because they hold their value so well there's not a lot difference between them ,just a thought