Old & Moved buying a very cheap expanda

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
Hi, I need advice.
Ive found an expanda for sale in regional area with the price of the van being at least $10k less than expected. Its not flea bay and the sellers are happy for inspections but its 4 hours out of sydney.

They've emailed me a copy of the rego papers and drivers license and online checks show not written off or stolen andpapers in their name.
The
They've also advised that they've moved from Vic to NSW.

I would get an inspection before making a decision.

Am I mad for even considering.

Duncan

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
If it was me, i would want to have a good look , specially in the rain , check the roof , take it for a tow , have some one follow to see it tracks straight , turn on everything , wind out the windows , hook up the water , try A/C , , jack it up check wheel bearings etc etc etc
serial number should still be welded on to the chassis - get a pic then check that with jayco , see if they can advise its history.
and i would probably google his name and then his phone number to she if he's been up to any thing shifty…. then go from there…...

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Always worth a look, lower prices often put other people off. A good example being I bought 5 skill testers (Arcade Machines) for $50 each! Seemed way too cheap but was legit!! Profit for me!
Also maybe worth seeing if a local Jayco dealer can do a search on the chasis number to see if it's a problem child (Friday van) you would be surprised what's recorded these days! I was in at a dealer today and got the internal bracing as built plans for my van so I know where I can screw into and get a good hold.

I say go for it! But do your homework!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Given that you're asking questions, doubts, etc... I'd say you've probably made up your mind. It's a long way to go for an inspection (time, fuel, effort, etc.). Whilst I agree @bigman0510 is right, there are bargains out there from divorces, quick sales, naïve sellers... but I reckon the higher % are lemons.

Do your due diligence, checks, background runs... if it turns up all good, go for it.

The cheap price might be a lot to do with the location... so a bit of effort might be gold in the pocket...

Could I sit on the fence more?

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
One thing that is difficult to check is the fridge. You want to make sure it works on all three power sources.
I would suggest that you have the seller connect the van to 240v and have the fridge running when you get there. You can then check its nice and cold ( that confirms 240v) then turn it off, leave it open and grab some lunch. Come back after an hour or so and fire it up on gas, the gas meter on top of the control panel will at least show you that it has fired up. It won't start to be cool for an hour or so.
12v is pretty useless, and difficult to check, so I'd call this the third priority.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Fuzzy and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
One thing that is difficult to check is the fridge. You want to make sure it works on all three power sources.
I would suggest that you have the seller connect the van to 240v and have the fridge running when you get there. You can then check its nice and cold ( that confirms 240v) then turn it off, leave it open and grab some lunch. Come back after an hour or so and fire it up on gas, the gas meter on top of the control panel will at least show you that it has fired up. It won't start to be cool for an hour or so.
12v is pretty useless, and difficult to check, so I'd call this the third priority.
Hope this helps.

Good tip. I'd recommend a similar approach to the water. Get them to hook the mains up and check. Then unhook, fill the tanks and check the pump. And if it has an ensuite, don't forget to check that also.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We have seen a few come up on other posts that seem too cheap sometimes, they normally work out to be scams. If its too good to be true it usually is. I would want to see a heap of photos and even some with them on holiday (we all have them). If it was a legit reason, like illness then maybe. Just be careful.

Reactions: cruza driver

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Make it subject to taking it to the nearest Jayco Dealer for inspection, I bought a yacht subject to marine inspection and it cost me $80 quite a few yrs ago.
I bought the boat , it was valued at $2,000 more than i paid ,owner never got to see appraisal as I paid for it.
hope it helps
Shiraz

Reactions: Wanda

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Do your due diligence, checks, background runs... if it turns up all good, go for it.

The cheap price might be a lot to do with the location... so a bit of effort might be gold in the pocket...

as @Smergen said, Due Diligence is your greatest advantage - as you have seen already

Thanx all. A few things dont add up so unless I see the original purchase receipts the jams off. The guys at Jayco Gold Coast were a great help and I cant say enough good things about them

have they given a "plausable" reason why so cheap? apart from being in the middle of wherever.

maybe.........????

just a guessing game isn't it

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Only way you'll know is going look at it. if they baulk at inspection then you'll know.

When we first decided to get jnto camping again there was a hawk advertised cheap in the rv trader mag. A good $8k under, located in Orange. I hesitated and presumed all sorts of things but finally after a few weeks decided to ring and go up there, it sold that weekend was genuine and a bargin. 5mths later we bought an Expanda off ebay that was at least $6-7k underprice, this time we didn't hesitate. All that was wrongs was it needed the clean of a lifetime.

Really need to Inspent it.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
A friend of mine is selling a car on behalf of his son and I said to him, "don't sell it to anyone on an oilrig who sends you an email". Sure enough a day later he gets an email off a guy on an oilrig wanting to buy it sight unseen.

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
Only way you'll know is going look at it. if they baulk at inspection then you'll know.

When we first decided to get jnto camping again there was a hawk advertised cheap in the rv trader mag. A good $8k under, located in Orange. I hesitated and presumed all sorts of things but finally after a few weeks decided to ring and go up there, it sold that weekend was genuine and a bargin. 5mths later we bought an Expanda off ebay that was at least $6-7k underprice, this time we didn't hesitate. All that was wrongs was it needed the clean of a lifetime.

Hey Jimmy, I was willing to travel if genuine, but original sales specs fro Jayco didnt match van advertised (size, aircon, solar etc). Photos didnt match aerial photography of home address, caravan had gold coast sales sticker but van from Ballarat

Reactions: relgate

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey Jimmy, I was willing to travel if genuine, but original sales specs fro Jayco didnt match van advertised (size, aircon, solar etc). Photos didnt match aerial photography of home address, caravan had gold coast sales sticker but van from Ballarat

Fair enough mate, sounds odd then. Good luck finding one

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Super sleuth. Nice work

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Could of been written off, repaired and taken off the write off register.( you need the full revs to show history)
I should know I'm up to my fifth repairable write off van. And I have sold all the ones previous. No buyer has ever picked it was repaired. Not that I'm dodgy, in actual fact I would say I fixed all jayco' dodgy build.
My 2014 1756 only cost me 11k bought repaired and registered. So easy for me to sell a lot cheaper. ( Hahaha I have just ruined my luck at selling it on here)
Or heaps of people have no insurance, could be flood damaged.
Finance owing? Is it registered as a jayco? Or a home made trailer?

Or better yet it's just a genuine bargain. Even if the fridge is bung $2000 buys you a new one. PS have fun getting it out