Buying a van privately?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Just wondering how people have gone about buying a van privately in this day and age of scams etc? I have come across a nice van that we are interested in and over the phone the owner sound fine and all seems legit. How do people go about paying? Direct deposit, bank cheque? Finding out if there is finance on the van? Any other things I should be thinking of?

Just early days so plenty of things to fall into place.

Cheers Geoff

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I've never bought a second hand van so I'm not sure about checking finance but i think that is essential along with registered owner. Can you do a 'REVS' check on a van?
I usually pay for such items with a bank cheque. Just go and get the check and hand it over when you pick up the van. Personally I would avoid transferring money unless I already had the van in my possession.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Have you had a look at the van in the flesh Macca to make sure it`s real? Maybe put a $5oo deposit while you check everything out, then as Relgate said Bank cheque on pick up.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I asked for additional photos of specific items not shown on the add. I also put a call out on another forum for someone who lived in the area to make sure the van existed. Then direct deposited a deposit with the rest in a bank cheque on final inspection and pick up. Also got in writing from them that the deposit would be refunded if the van was not what they said it was.

Reactions: blacky and Burnsy

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
The van is real and exists. It is on consignment with a dealer, have not seen it yet but was told that although in the dealers yard, the deal is between me and the owner, the owner pays the dealer a fixed fee. I have seen a stack of photos and all that side looks good. Normally I would buy new but this ticks many boxes and more for us. Just wondering how people were paying for caravans privately, the last time I bought a car with a bank cheque the car had a carby and dragway mags! Thanks all.

asis

Dec 27, 2013
Lake Macquarie NSW
Hi
I brought second had from Victoria 4 weeks ago.
Talked to the guy several times on phone and offered a deposit but he was happy to hold it which I was a bit worried about since it was over 1000k each way. Seemed like a genuine person which it turns out he was. Van was in excellent condition as he had described.
Did the revs check which is now pssr or something and paid cash on the day.
Cheers
Adam

Reactions: blacky

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Just wondering how people have gone about buying a van privately in this day and age of scams etc? I have come across a nice van that we are interested in and over the phone the owner sound fine and all seems legit. How do people go about paying? Direct deposit, bank cheque? Finding out if there is finance on the van? Any other things I should be thinking of?

Just early days so plenty of things to fall into place.

Cheers Geoff
As you know we sold our van today - this is what happened - they live further north than us - made a time to come and inspect the van - they were punctual. We then spent at least two hours going over the van and showing them what was what. Then left them to talk together - came inside, made an offer which we accepted. Revs check was done etc, then went to local branch of Com bank (their bank and my bank) did not worry about drawing bank cheque - just transferred the required amount of money from their key card account to mine - could not have been easier. Then back to my place, hooked van up and off they went.......they also organised cover note before leaving.

Reactions: Ren77 and 17triton

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
When we sold our Swan,they done vehicle security check online via Vicroads at my place. All good,deposit taken bank cheque following week. Problem, they had no towbar,so l delivered it on our way to Phillip Island trip. Pace.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I sold my last van to a couple in Adelaide sight unseen.
They paid eft holding deposit straight into my account.
The remainder by bank cheque when they picked up the van.

I didn't know back then that it could be cancelled though...

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
As you know we sold our van today - this is what happened - they live further north than us - made a time to come and inspect the van - they were punctual. We then spent at least two hours going over the van and showing them what was what. Then left them to talk together - came inside, made an offer which we accepted. Revs check was done etc, then went to local branch of Com bank (their bank and my bank) did not worry about drawing bank cheque - just transferred the required amount of money from their key card account to mine - could not have been easier. Then back to my place, hooked van up and off they went.......they also organised cover note before leaving.
We have bought two vans exactly the same way as @Billrw136. Everybody is happy. Just have to make sure that you look at the van through banking hours (remembering smaller country/seaside towns' banks close earlier than major shopping hubs). I have been caught out once b4!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I would think insurance would cover, if you have done everything reasonable to stop the theft, like accept payment. It would be easy enough for the police to track them though, a bank check is registered to who it is issued to, then stopped by, a fairly good trail to follow.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Not sure personally if insurance would cover it.

If you give the van away without due diligence one would think you have signed your rights away.

Could be wrong thought but best to check with your insurer and get in writing if they say they will cover it.

Me personally funds have to clear before I will release the van.

Reactions: bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
I just sold my mum's house and we banked the cheque they said it take 3 days to clear.. I said its a bank cheque from a house sale and its the same bank. She said no there has been too many cancels of late.
You think they put more conditions on why you cancel then just let them do it.