BT50 Blow Up

Mick_309

May 28, 2015
Noosaville
My BT-50 packed it in on the weekend 20km south of Nowra heading back to Sydney.

Huge puff of smoke, oil sprayed through the engine bay and coolant all gone. Just under 6 months out of warranty and not the first major issue I have had. I am hoping Mazda come to the party because it doesn't sound like it will be cheap.

On an positive note- Kings Point Retreat at Ulladulla is a really nice park.

IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* 're Mazda. Have you had the heater core hose 're work done? Google it. In the early piece media was out reporting engine torque flex would stress the hoses causing tears. A possibility.

Pace.

Reactions: Delano

Mick_309

May 28, 2015
Noosaville
Thanks guys, Mazda Australia are running the diagnostics on it, not the mechanic (Nowra Mazda) so basically they are instructing them to run a particular test then report the result and await a further instruction. Yesterday was the compression test which I will get the results for today. The lady that works at Nowra did mention a hose blown off so I will look into the heater hose issue.
I suppose the only good thing is that Mazda is getting involved and not wiping their hands of it (yet)

Mick_309

May 28, 2015
Noosaville
Ok Update Time- The problem is a blown motor, due to a coolant hose coming off. Apparently the air flow while doing 90kph+ is enough for the gauge not to go through the roof before the damage is done.

Verdict- New Motor required ($14k in the box) plus fitting

The good news- Firstly a massive thanks to Dave at Nowra Mazda who has been an absolute legend throughout the process but and even bigger tick to Mazda who have reviewed my situation which includes regular servicing at a Mazda dealer and they have agreed to fix my car at their expense under "goodwill" as opposed to warranty. What is the difference? I don't know, I assume it probably means the new motor doesn't get warranty but from what I am facing that is fine by me. Either way they are picking up the tab and I will be towing the Expanda again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for everyone's interest and good wishes. This story has a happy ending.