BruceD's Jeep Grand Cherokee

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
We purchased a new Retreat Macquarie towards the end of September from Luxury RV’s in Melbourne. We towed it back home to Canberra via the coast with our Ford Territory AWD diesel, and whilst it did it well I was aware that each time we hooked up we would be close to its limits. The van has a tare of 2222 kgs and an atm of 2700 kgs. We looked at what we would like to replace the Territory with. We still wanted a “car” rather than a twin cab etc. We settled on the Jeep Grand Cherokee as we knew that our van would be well within its limits. Our daughter was looking at upgrading her car so she took the Territory of our hands, at dad’s rates of course. Our next issue was finding a Jeep within the price we were willing to pay.

We purchased a second hand 2013 WK2 (December) Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo diesel from a local Jeep dealer and a week later hooked up the van to go for a test run. Headed up towards Cooma as this has some flat and undulating country. Got about 50kms away and the temperature gauge went up to the red area, bells and whistles went off and a friendly female voice told me to stop the car asap. Had to get NRMA to tow the van back home and the car to the dealers. As this was a mid Friday afternoon they couldn’t look at it until Monday when they told me that they couldn’t find anything wrong. Handed me a printed form from Jeep Australia stating that it was normal for the temperature gauge to go up as it is a combined, oil, water and transmission gauge. Not happy with this I took it for another run with only myself in the car and the gauge went up again, back to dealer and after a very long discussion they agreed to look at it again. Three days later I was informed that there was a blown head gasket. Short story is that the only way Jeep Australia would agreed to fix the car was to replace the motor. Luckily it is still under new car warranty. Bad luck was that it took three weeks for the motor to arrive from the good old USA and another 2-3 weeks of farting around before we got the car back, over 6 weeks in total.

We got the car back a week before we were to head off to Brisbane for Christmas and as I had to put some kms on the new motor we didn’t have a chance until last week to try towing. Again we went up to Cooma and while I am very pleased at the way it towed the van the temperature gauge still moves around more than I am used to. Even on the slightest incline it would move up from the normal section to the next. Never got into the top (high) section. At least it would quickly drop back down to normal. It was about 28 degrees that day and I sat on 100 km/hr.

So far I am happy with the Jeep ( we loved the Territory so it has big shoes to fill), averaged 7.4 l/100 km for the trip up and back to Brisbane. The torque pulling the van is impressive. I have it booked in next week to have a replacement transmission oil cooler fitted which hopefully will assist in keeping the engine cooler. When I was towing my transmission oil was about 97 degrees and engine oil was about 103 degrees.

Jeep.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
good to see you got it sorted properly
any reason (apart from NOT looking at it) for not finding it the first time...........?

normal for the temperature gauge to go up as it is a combined, oil, water and transmission gauge.
maybe ask if you can get separate temp gauge's for oil / water / trans temps fitted, instead of a combined one

I hope you have a trouble free run out of it now

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
The Jeep has the ability to display either the transmission oil or the engine oil temperatures. It doesn't allow the water temperature to be displayed.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
It took me a while to get used to the 'honesty' of the Jeep GC gauge. Having had a Pajero previously to the Jeep, the gauge moved very little.
The Jeep temperature needle moves around quite a lot (and up high) on a steep tow. Now I just put the thing in drive and press the go pedal. Superb tow vehicle.

Reactions: Drover

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Well summed up. The Territory was the same, the only time the gauge moved was on a reasonably warm day, 36, pulling our Jayco Journey up the Clyde Mountain. I hope in time that I will get the same confidence as you have with the gauge, as I agree for the very short time that I have towed the van with it, it does seem to be a great towing vehicle. Now that I own one I am seeing more and more on the road towing some large vans.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Gees Bruce, that's some story with the car. Hope all is ok now.
Any pictures of the new van?
Cheers Deano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
The Jeep has the ability to display either the transmission oil or the engine oil temperatures. It doesn't allow the water temperature to be displayed.

my preference would be separate gauges for each................
in a perfect world
or an old Patrol.............................:biggrin:

Reactions: dagree

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
Hi @bigcol It allows you to scroll through different options to be displayed on the instrument panel, one option is the transmission oil temp and another is the engine oil temp, effectively separate gauges. Also displays tyre pressure etc.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi @bigcol It allows you to scroll through different options to be displayed on the instrument panel, one option is the transmission oil temp and another is the engine oil temp, effectively separate gauges. Also displays tyre pressure etc.

mmmmmmmmmm
new fangled tecknology hey.............

I would be more interested in the Trans Temp when your towing

engine oil temp would only be any good to watch if you knew you were close to a due service...... and see the difference

kewl beans though
I have after market Autron Gauges, with all the info I need, separate to whats already fitted by Mr Nissan in the Dash

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having had a couple of Grands over the last 10 yrs or so, worked on them myself and found them a great rig, well my 2 suggestions are :

1. Find a mechanic who knows them in the ACT, dealers are mostly useless as well as expensive......buy parts elsewhere or you will go broke.

2. The worlds best Jeep Forum, where people will actually go out of their way to help you out and there is No stupid question, very similar to this place, is AJOR...www.ausjeepoffroad.com ........you won't go wrong.

Tell 'em Drover sent you, they may even know me.