14' Series Broken glass SMEV 401 Stovetop

Ozpanda

Mar 15, 2021
Hawthorn East
Hi. The glass shattered while I was cooking recently in our 2011 14.44 Expanda Outback. Dometic advise they no longer make replacement for this stove and we need to replace the complete stovetop, grill and oven. Any suggestions where I could source a glass hob that fits rear part of stove with electric element and gas burner? Thanks Bernie

rags

You could try a glazer or a company that does kitchen glass splash backs as the glass for splash backs needs to be certified to Australian standards for use behind gas cooktops should be good for your stove.
Alternatively a replacement panel in stainless maybe suitable.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depending on the model stove you might be able to source from one of the many RV suppliers.......

it helps a lot when you ask questions to give a model number, brand etc makes things easier........................

Ozpanda

Mar 15, 2021
Hawthorn East
Thanks for your response. It's not the glass stove lid on the SMEV 401 it's the rear black glass stove top/plate with a hole for the electric element and gas jet. Perhaps I'll speak with a glass maker as it needs to withstand heat. Not sure how stainless steel would go Rags...might buckle?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Interesting didn't know they did it in glass always thought it was tin.....Any pics ???

Ozpanda

Mar 15, 2021
Hawthorn East
The new ones are enamel as I think this was a problem with the glass tops. It crystallized like a car windscreen. Short term solution is cover with alfoil . Stove still working.

Attachments

• 20210223_204232.jpg
    20210223_204232.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 553

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The new ones are enamel as I think this was a problem with the glass tops. It crystallized like a car windscreen. Short term solution is cover with alfoil . Stove still working.
You can certainly get heat resistant toughened glass to any shape, like kitchen glass splashbacks are heat resistant and toughened. I going to guess making one to suit that template with circular holes for the burners it may be cheaper to buy a new caravan. But its certainly do-able

rags

Thanks for your response. It's not the glass stove lid on the SMEV 401 it's the rear black glass stove top/plate with a hole for the electric element and gas jet. Perhaps I'll speak with a glass maker as it needs to withstand heat. Not sure how stainless steel would go Rags...might buckle?
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the glass lid, not the part you mentioned

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm with @Crusty181 as just looking at the prices they want for just a lid ...... I think I would be looking to see if the later models enamelled panels are the same size or even close enough to be modded otherwise I would go for a bit of metal bashing of 1.5mm sheet and coated with a heat resistant enamel paint....

I have looked around for new fridge doors and the few 2nd hand places for van bits seem to think they can price parts at new prices..........

Ozpanda

Mar 15, 2021
Hawthorn East
Thx for your input guys. I think Crusty181 is right, finding this part is not easy and I may end up doing insurance claim and replacing the stove but don't like turfing the old one when it still works ok. Hard to find second hand parts like this and making one up is not easy (for me anyway).

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thx for your input guys. I think Crusty181 is right, finding this part is not easy and I may end up doing insurance claim and replacing the stove but don't like turfing the old one when it still works ok. Hard to find second hand parts like this and making one up is not easy (for me anyway).
Quotes are free @Ozpanda, make up some cardboard templates and drop them off at a few glaziers. You might get a win

daja

May 11, 2022
Melbourne
Quotes are free @Ozpanda, make up some cardboard templates and drop them off at a few glaziers. You might get a win
Hi Ozpanda, did you have any luck fixing this? We have had exactly the same problem with our stove and trying to work out a way to fix. Even replacement seems to be an issue as can't find another stove with same dimensions. What did you end up doing?

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Ozpanda, did you have any luck fixing this? We have had exactly the same problem with our stove and trying to work out a way to fix. Even replacement seems to be an issue as can't find another stove with same dimensions. What did you end up doing?
Hi Daja
We have just had the same thing happen to our glass cooktop on the weekend & Dometic said it was caused by the electric plate expanding with the heat ( first time we had used the electric hot plate in the 10yrs of having the van )
Just wondered what you ended up doing to fix yours ?
Thanks

Grantstar

Feb 13, 2023
Bribie Island
Had the same thing happen to mine just before Christmas, and I couldn't bring myself to replace a perfectly working stove because of a piece of glass, I am in the process of removing the shattered glass and polishing the stainless steel beneath it, halfway there, just need to do the other half now.Here is a few before and after photos .

Attachments

• 20221119_113152.jpg
    20221119_113152.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20221119_113141.jpg
    20221119_113141.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 20230213_141640.jpg
    20230213_141640.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20230213_141447.jpg
    20230213_141447.jpg