Brake voltage

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has checked the voltage from the brake controller where the wires join at the van brakes underneath? I did some investigating on the weekend as I don't think mine operate good enough. With controller on max output I get 11.9v at trailer plug but only 9.7v at van brakes, normally you would think voltage drop from small gauge wire but they must all be the same.

Next I will check out the rats nest of wires above the metal plate and I will do J box mod there like I did with my 16'. Oh and by the way check out the wire joiners at the brakes.....none of mine were crimped!

Cheers.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
I'm guessing at max output the brakes lock up pretty quick? I have my max at 7 Volt which seems to work ok for the 2.5T 17". Higher than 7V and its starting to lock up. I haven't paid much attention to the amp output, will look next time it's hooked up. Which brake controller are you using?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi shadow, it's a hayman Reece, I'm going to change anyway but I don't think in my case another controller will fix the problem of voltage drop. When I pull pin out for brake away it supplies 12v to brakes and I can't drive off so yeah 12v does lock them. A couple of mates have the same controller and reckon when on max output the van really pulls up really hard, but when I do this there's not much!

Cheers.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Burnsy, If you're getting a new brake controller, I love and recommend the Tekonshina P3.. Great to diagnose what is going on, i.e, volts / amps to the brakes. Easy to change the boost when Van is light / heavy, good self diagnosis. There were some issues a while back with some of the sensors, but I believe that's been rectified.

The voltage drop will be associated with the load that is also being drawn by the brakes, and of course the gauge of wire being used. I can't remember how much load is being drawn by the brakes, but can't imagine it would be too much. (again, should have looked at the diagnosis on the P3 a little closer). It's possible there's an issue with the magnets in the brakes?

Is it possible to get some one else's tug to check it out for fault finding or at least compare?. If all else fails, I'm happy to hook up the van this weekend to compare the voltage drops, and let you know what I get from my expanda.

Cheers,

Glenn

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks guys, it would be interesting to see what you get. I will be getting the P3 Glenn, one of my mates has the P3 also and suggested what you said, hook up to his tug and compare!

Cheers.