Brake lights do not work when battery switch is off.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I am putting this on for a mate that just purchased a 2012 14.44.5. When he picked it up all rear lights worked ok. When he hooked it up to go to Anglesea on Saturday the brake lights did not work, blinkers ok. Finally after running a tester over his car plug etc he decided the only thing that was different was that he had turned off his battery switch. You guessed it, switched it on and brake lights worked. Before we check the wiring from one end to the other, does anybody have any advice as to why this is happening or is it just another one of Jayco's wiring glitches.

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
We had exactly the same problem with our brand new 17.56-1. Brakes lights worked ok when we left for our shakedown, then didn't work on the way back (indicators were fine).
Just went out and tried the battery switch...whoo hoo...brake lights work again!
It may have something to do with the battery for the brake safe system. Maybe when the battery for the brake safe gets low, the brake lights don't work, so you know and have to charge the battery.
I'm just glad to have brake lights again! :)

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
We had exactly the same problem with our brand new 17.56-1. Brakes lights worked ok when we left for our shakedown, then didn't work on the way back (indicators were fine).
Just went out and tried the battery switch...whoo hoo...brake lights work again!
It may have something to do with the battery for the brake safe system. Maybe when the battery for the brake safe gets low, the brake lights don't work, so you know and have to charge the battery.
I'm just glad to have brake lights again! :)
Don"t think a 14.44 would have a brake safe system!

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
This van came from Canberra. I will be back at Anglesea this afternoon, so I will check if it has a break safe system.

jed

May 16, 2013
We have the 14.44.5 no brake safe system and all lights work with battery switched off.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Yes @Alan they should work all the time, but I leave my battery switch on all the time too so it charges the battery whilst driving (if he has a battery) and when plugged into 240v

Last edited:

jed

May 16, 2013
We only turn our battery switch on when on a 240 site to top up the battery and switch it off at home so it doesn't slowly drain ,all lights work with battery switch turned off

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Guess what, my mate hooked up to go home yesterday and his brake lights worked with the switch off. Good result, just adds to the mystery.
My turn now. Only tow a 12 and noticed before I hooked up my hitch was off square. The plates on each end of main cross square section that bolt to the chassis are cracking from the top. About 2 cm of 12 cm now. A motor crash investigator that camps near us had a look and said the design would not allow it to come right off but to take it easy going home ( only 60 km ) and get it replaced. Here we go on a nice barney with BMW and/or the bar maker.

AddItUp

Sep 29, 2013
Go figure @Alan , who knows what is going on with the battery switch.
Good luck with the dodgy hitch.