Brake Controller

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Hi guys n gals

This has probably come up before but im just wondering what brand of Brake controller you had fitted to your car to tow your Expanda. Also any problems with any other units you may have used.

Jayco recommends the Hayman Reese unit. I have been looking at the Tekonsha P3 but have read some people have had problems with this unit. Also thinking about the redarc controller.

Cheers
Aaron

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Aaron,

We had a Hayman Reece unit for the last 4 years but it packed it in the last couple of weeks. It was a manual unit & we had to keep adjusting it to suit different braking conditions & speeds.
We have replaced it with the Tekonsha P3 & can't fault it. Easy to set up & it's proportional & adjusts to suit different braking conditions automatically. We were out yesteday towing & it is fantastic compared to what we were used to with the HR.
We bought the P3 online for a great price also so if you going that way it pays to shop around.

Hope this helps,

Paul

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks Paul

I was looking at the P3 on ebay for about the 150 buck mark. Is that where you got yours???

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
+1 for the P3. I upgraded from the P2 (accidently, sold my last car and forgot to remove it...duh!!)
The beauty of it is that it can be removed from vehicle to vehicle. they are pretty much set and forget.
Ebay is where I got mine from too..

Bushbasher

Oct 12, 2011
South Gippsland
I've got one of the tekonsha units in one of my trucks, 6 years old and has never skipped a beat. I have just put one of the redarc remote units in the captiva, just because of the hide-ability.
Cheers
Steve

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
I done a fair bit of research on this and the proportional controllers seem to be the go. The solid state controllers like the redarc and hayman need to be set for driving conditions and will only brake the vans brakes to what the controller is set at regardless of how hard you hit the brakes, where the proportional ones like the P3 work on the deceleration of the car so if you brake softly the van brakes softly and vice versa with hard/emergency braking.

Cheers Ben

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Ben,

This is the reason I decided to move away from the Hayman Reece controller, & the P3 was only about $30 dearer.
The wiring was identical so instalation was easy also,

Cheers,

Paul

mike007

Aug 8, 2011
Hi all,

Ive just purchased a P3 and had a auto elec fit it to my prado but unfortunately its having the same problem with the brakes going to maximum after a moderate stop as other people are having. Im waiting on a replacement P3 at tge moment but am not to hopefull the replacement wont have the same problem. Mine is mounted at about a 60 degree angle (max in the manual is +/-90 degrees) so this might be a factor for you depending on how you mount yours. Aparently this problem is not there if you mount the controller horizontally. Bummer as I really like this controller and the easy setup.

Cheers
Mike

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey everyone, one thing to consider is to keep the mobile phones (and any other transmitting devices) away from the controller as the signal can interfere with the brake controller's internal workings.

We got the Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller installed and it specifically mentions the seperation (at least 300mm) required for transmitting devices. One to consider...

Oh and it is a great controller too, does the proportional braking and has been fantastic so far.

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=1400&catID=1435%20&part=0