16' Series Brace Knobs on Carefree Awings

Cruikey

Dec 9, 2016
Sydney
20161203_094227.jpg If you forget to tighten these knobs when packing up the caravan these knobs can vibrate loose and fall off when travelling along the highway. At $25 to $40 a pair they are not cheap to replace having done so on a couple of occasions.
To solve the problem and help your wallet take the knobs off the awning and tip them over and rough up the plastic in ONE segment only then fill it with small sinkers and bond them in place with araldite or similar.
If you forget to tighten the knobs when travelling they will vibrate to the point where the weighted segment is at bottom and no further

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like that very clever and can be used in a number of situations .........................................Or slide the rail apart, remove the screw fitting with locking plate and just give the end of the thread a cross tap with chisel so it won't unscrew and refit, job done.

For some it would throw their weight spreadsheet calculations out though..........lol,lol,lol......

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I like that very clever and can be used in a number of situations .........................................Or slide the rail apart, remove the screw fitting with locking plate and just give the end of the thread a cross tap with chisel so it won't unscrew and refit, job done.

For some it would throw their weight spreadsheet calculations out though..........lol,lol,lol......
Hi @Drover,
not if the lead came from their fishing tackle box: for those who are still fishing :behindsofa:.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You are on a roll @mikerezny today, well done........................I have a few pound of out of work sinkers actually........,,, but my Carp Buster mate is going to meet up with me in a few weeks to restore my Yin...or is it Yang ????

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
View attachment 48252 If you forget to tighten these knobs when packing up the caravan these knobs can vibrate loose and fall off when travelling along the highway. At $25 to $40 a pair they are not cheap to replace having done so on a couple of occasions.
To solve the problem and help your wallet take the knobs off the awning and tip them over and rough up the plastic in ONE segment only then fill it with small sinkers and bond them in place with araldite or similar.
If you forget to tighten the knobs when travelling they will vibrate to the point where the weighted segment is at bottom and no further
I'm in the lost knobs club too I have lost a set will be sure to give your mod a try!

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Hi all...have managed to overtighten one ...now the plastic handwheel slips and won't tighten the bolt ..tried an araldite repair.....naah!
Bought a pack of 3, m8 x 20mm wing bolts off ebay and tapped the holes to m8 on the octaganol nut.
Had some washers kicking around ...total cost ex time 2 bucks with free postage ..
Woohoo.
Once in i will chisel thread as above to stop separation....of course you could just not overtighten them....but wheres the fun in that!?
20170401_112119.jpg
20170401_112119.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and PhilW

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Cheers Col...just for clarification and because I am a bit tight. ..the rubber friction washers are...hangs head.....those bits out of the hose pipe couplings that go on the tap....aka the seal.

So next time you chuck em cos the uv has wrecked the plastic.
Keep the seals....cheers paul

Reactions: Dobbie

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Thanks guys ...was on the forum years ago back in 2010....but lost my contact details...think it may have been a yahoo site then? ..cant remember.

Have been doing a few mods recently, and fixing a few bits. ....being hamfisted does necessitate ingenuity...or expense. ..with Rv s BIG expense.
Now if i could just stop breaking things i would be laughing....now to check the old roof sealant.
Cheers cp..

Reactions: bigcol

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Welcome back @coneheadpaul although there was another expanda forum back in those days on Yahoo which was not linked to this one in any way. But this forum is the best one on the web. :cheer2: so, glad you found us. Look forward to more input from you.

Thanks Chartrock ...like i say have been doing a few jobs so will post a few piccies.
I have to say the jobs I have done, are as a result of the posts on here......so if people could stop being so damn inspiring please, .... I would be able to put my feet up. ..( translation. ....thanks to all the knowledgable peeps on here for sharing their trials,......and also their triumphs )

Mrs cp appears with a G n T..hurrah

Feet up !

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Cheers Col...just for clarification and because I am a bit tight. ..the rubber friction washers are...hangs head.....those bits out of the hose pipe couplings that go on the tap....aka the seal.

So next time you chuck em cos the uv has wrecked the plastic.
Keep the seals....cheers paul

I stopped in Jerramungup for an Ice cream, and found I had forgotten to make sure it was tight when we left Esperance, sooooo after searching the IGA there for something usable (and not finding anything) I settled on a small piece of plastic from a broken Tupperware lid
an hour or so of playing bit by bit trimming it to the size I required, got it right
still havent changed it to a proper one since (3 years) - but I do carry a spare, and last thing before getting into car - double / triple check those little buggers

I have short arms, and really deep pockets......................

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree