BLUEYS 1858-2 OUTBACK

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Many thanks for the responses...I had seen the Alko unit a while back, but dismissed it and forgot about it. I always had in the back of my mind the situation of needing a tow for some reason and I had read of the dramas some people encountered when the Towie didn't have the right hitch for the van. Though i always thought I could just pull the hitch off my tug and slip it in to the trucks receiver...I am sure most would have the regular square "Hayman Reece" hitch arrangement.

I see that this mob; https://trailercamperaustralia.com....l-electric-brake-offroad-trailer-caravan.html have them for $264.00 atm.
Bluey you say that you were able to use the handbrake setup off the standard ball hitch? How'd you do that?
Easy take the handle off the standard hitch put it on the new one mite need to drill a hole but that's it you need a base plate for the new hitch that's why I brought a complete system off Huntsman or you have to order the extra base plate from camperaustralia I looked there too but in the end I didn't use there cable or there bolts I got 75mm bolts they fitted better or 80mm hmmmm not sure lol I think 75mm nor did I use there hand brake handle

Reactions: Pace and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
The bolt size depends on the size of the mounting plate on your draw bar, mine needed 100mm bolts and I knocked up a bracket for my hand brake to swing off, handbrakes on all hitch changes require some sort of modification......... I always wanted to go to a McHitch, had a good look at these ones and thought why spend the extra $$, happy I did actually.

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
The bolt size depends on the size of the mounting plate on your draw bar, mine needed 100mm bolts and I knocked up a bracket for my hand brake to swing off, handbrakes on all hitch changes require some sort of modification......... I always wanted to go to a McHitch, had a good look at these ones and thought why spend the extra $$, happy I did actually.
I have ordered the 3.5T coupling from Alko...they look fine to me as well. As you write, why spend the extra money on a fancy hitch arrangement. The original 50mm ball set up is fine in reality, just falls short with articulation.
Once I get it I'll know what I have to do to the handbrake lever / baseplate to fit it I guess...

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Fitted the new Alko off road coupling today, ended up buying the handbrake base plate as well being the original handbrake lever was a part of the standard coupling so there was no way to modify or remove.

Heading away in a couple of weeks, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it loosens up a tad as right now the latch assembly is awkward to release and then pull up to allow the hitch to drop on to the ball. Should be fun hitching as the reverse camera in the tug seems to only work when i don't really need it, and then doesn't work when I need it!

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Same as mine, I made one to suit bit of fiddling though, the latch on mine came good once I gave everything a lube.....

The flippin' inconvenience for me of course is having to travel 45 mins each way to do any work on the van...no real time for being creative. I also fitted the upper fridge panel back in the other day with the t'stat operated exhaust fan attached. I'll only know how that goes on this trip away when the fridge gets down to temp and hopefully trips the thermostat...

The trips away will be when the creative juices can truly flow uninterrupted...especially while hydrating...:)

Reactions: Drover

macpanda

May 26, 2022
I'm back in the game picked this up last weekend I had a 17 then a 20 now I have in between 1858-2 I'm pretty happy so far time will tell tows a lot better than the 20 a heap less weight especially on the ball let the mods begin
Looking good! Just a question on the Anderson plug - I see the logic in running an Anderson plug to the fridge, but looks like you kept the 12 pin set up? I have a 7 pin on the tow rig and a 12 pin on the expanda, and was planning on running a separate Anderson plug on the tow rig and van (for the fridge). I am not sure if there is any point converting the 7 pin socket and wiring on the tow rig to a 12 pin if i am also running a new anderson lead for the fridge. I dont think i will be using any other points on the 12 pin in the future... What do others use this for?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Looking good! Just a question on the Anderson plug - I see the logic in running an Anderson plug to the fridge, but looks like you kept the 12 pin set up? I have a 7 pin on the tow rig and a 12 pin on the expanda, and was planning on running a separate Anderson plug on the tow rig and van (for the fridge). I am not sure if there is any point converting the 7 pin socket and wiring on the tow rig to a 12 pin if i am also running a new anderson lead for the fridge. I dont think i will be using any other points on the 12 pin in the future... What do others use this for?
I got rid of the 12 pin on ours and use a 7 pin and a Anderson plug as you suggested
Our 12 pin melted around the positive pin that fed the fridge

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
What do others use this for
I'm the exception in that I started with the 12 pin, changed to anderson on the fridge, and changed back to the 12 pin. I do keep a close eye on the fridge pins because any corrosion or dirt will start the heat build up and inevitable melting.- but never had any issues so far.

The anderson gets used on occasion for direct connection to the caravan battery from my tug second battery and for reverse charging the ute with my portable solar. I do use the extra high current pins, 1 does ignition on sense for my fridge to switch over to 12v. If I could be bothered I would parallel 2 pins to supply the fridge...

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Yea still got the 12 pin it's really only a 7 pin now makes no difference which I use as long as everything works which it dose

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
I'm the exception in that I started with the 12 pin, changed to anderson on the fridge, and changed back to the 12 pin. I do keep a close eye on the fridge pins because any corrosion or dirt will start the heat build up and inevitable melting.- but never had any issues so far.

The anderson gets used on occasion for direct connection to the caravan battery from my tug second battery and for reverse charging the ute with my portable solar. I do use the extra high current pins, 1 does ignition on sense for my fridge to switch over to 12v. If I could be bothered I would parallel 2 pins to supply the fridge...
Why did you go back ..... in my 17 the small fridge was fine in the 12 pin but the 2 door fridges have thick wires and the small pin connections which I didn't like the 20 I had nearly melted cause the wires wernt connected very well

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
victoria
Fitted the new Alko off road coupling today, ended up buying the handbrake base plate as well being the original handbrake lever was a part of the standard coupling so there was no way to modify or remove.

Heading away in a couple of weeks, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it loosens up a tad as right now the latch assembly is awkward to release and then pull up to allow the hitch to drop on to the ball. Should be fun hitching as the reverse camera in the tug seems to only work when i don't really need it, and then doesn't work when I need it!
Maybe you can buy a alko hand brake Handel somewhere ...?

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Why did you go back ..... in my 17 the small fridge was fine in the 12 pin but the 2 door fridges have thick wires and the small pin connections which I didn't like the 20 I had nearly melted cause the wires wernt connected very well
Mostly being lazy. The anderson got knocked out a couple of times, and when on the road I use that anderson for other things. I do keep the 12 pin well maintained though - clean and the gap in the pin to keep it tight. Jayco uses a special pin crimp tail that reduces the wire to a suitable size for the 12 pin.