Black Spur

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi Everyone
Im planning a trip to lake Eildon which will involve pulling the van up the Black Spur ,I was wondering how I will go as My tug is an X-Trail 2.5 petrol and the van is 14.44.5 weight approx 1500k ,both van and car are new 8,000 on the car rated at 2ton towing and 400ks on the van ,I towed it to Inverloch with no problem at 100km at 12.2/100 some hills did slow me to 90 but never had my foot more than half way down ,however as beautiful as the Black Spur is im expecting a real challenge ,I realise the X-Trail is a cross over and was just wondering what your thoughts are

Cheers

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Its a steady climb from Healesville with plenty of tight corners that can catch you out but the speed limit through there is only 80 now anyway. I've towed through there countless times, there is a few slow vehicle pull over spots too if required.

Just watchout for log trucks too ;)

Enjoy the drive and trip mate and if you want you can also go up through Yea and across with the turn off past Molesworth and before Yarck.

Reactions: jed

jed

May 16, 2013
I like your confidence Gavin lol should be interesting to say the least

jed

May 16, 2013
Its a steady climb from Healesville with plenty of tight corners that can catch you out but the speed limit through there is only 80 now anyway. I've towed through there countless times, there is a few slow vehicle pull over spots too if required.

Just watchout for log trucks too ;)

Enjoy the drive and trip mate and if you want you can also go up through Yea and across with the turn off past Molesworth and before Yarck.
Thanks cruza like the fact that they have the passing lanes I didnt know that

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks cruza like the fact that they have the passing lanes I didnt know that
No passing lanes but pull over areas, 2 are rest areas one at the bottom of a hill ''Fernshaws'' on the rhs heading towards Eildon the other at the top called ''Dom Dom Saddle'' also on the rhs. Opposite this one is a pull over lane.

There is also another one a couple k's further on from here on the side of the road, I should be sign posted.
The hardest part is keeping your eyes on the road and not looking at the scenery :)

:tea:

Reactions: jed

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
You be fine just take your time. How you find Inverloch looks like you went to the racv park we went there couple weeks ago kids loved it a very nice park i highly recommend it going back for cup week end

jed

May 16, 2013
You be fine just take your time. How you find Inverloch looks like you went to the racv park we went there couple weeks ago kids loved it a very nice park i highly recommend it going back for cup week end
Hi brotys , yes it was the racv resort in inverloch and highly recomend it to anyone, a great camp kitchen ,huge pool ,heated floors in the showers ,staff very helpful, and plenty of things to do and see around Inverloch, are kids have all grown up and have their own kids and its just my wife and myself and we had a great time there .Nice to hear from you cheers :

jed

May 16, 2013
Came through the Black Spur on our way over to Melbourne to visit Mum, no problems, that's why cars have gears when it gets hilly
Hi jeff, thanks for the responce mate, the x-trail is an automatic how ever I do have a choice as to put it in manual mode and a pic out of 6 gears so it all sounds like a go :)
cheers mate