Bike racks

Watto

Mar 14, 2013
New member (16.49-3 OB) who would like some advice on bike carriers (2 adult mountain bikes)

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi there Watto and welcome to the forum,
If you do a forum search for 'bike racks' you will find a wealth of information on different things forum members have come up with for their bikes. Anything and everything has been done from bike racks on the back of car, mounted on drawbar, drop down racks, swing away rear bike carriers, the list goes on and on and on......
We went for folding bikes, and thank god we did, as I don't think we could spare a single kg of our payload on a bike rack and full size bikes.
Good luck, there will be something on this forum that is exactly what your looking for!

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Watto,

Here's our set up. Four bikes on the back of the cruiser using a rack specially made by Aussie Eagle Fabrications in Melbourne to suit our Hayman Reece hitch, and if we don't take a canoe we can put two on the roof using Yakima Frontloaders
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG

Watto

Mar 14, 2013

Thanks James - looks great. Did Aussie Eagle make the rack specially for you or was it a standard model?

Cheers, Watto

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
:)
Hi AJC - The boys and I bodyboard, so they pack nicely in the van. The canoe!!...Well I have to decide if I want to paddle or pedal. If I was really keen, I could fit one bike on the roof along with the canoe.

Hi Holden Man - Yeah it's a bit of a sight when we're loaded and ready to roll :) But I have learnt over the years not to go anywhere without the kids bikes...hours of fun. I like to ride (or paddle) each morning, so I always try to take mine. My wife's bike however!!(in the photos above)...well it didn't make it off the roof for the whole two week trip :biggrin-26:. I actually can fit another bike on the roof (in reverse) and was told by the bloke at Jayco (where I bought the rack) that people have fitted 5 bikes on it!!! Not sure the cruiser would be happy with too much more though.

Hi Brad - Yeah I see you have four kids too. You know...:)

Hi Watto - Back to the serious stuff...No it wasn't specially made for me, but they do specially make it to suit the Hayman Reece hitch I have, so I had to look around to get it right (and I was sick of pulling bikes apart to fit them in the van).
The rack is made by Aussie Eagle Fabrication in bayswater Melbourne 9720 1650 www.tradesmantrailers.com.au. Australian made and can take up to 4 bikes (90kg). I picked it up from Jayco in bayswater. It had just been redesigned an extra 150 or 200mm higher than their previous version especially to go on the back of the car with a caravan. It might pay to ring around if you want one. I spoke to aussie eagle direct and was told $595!!! then he said "It's Christmas, I'll do it for $495!!" I bought it from Jayco Bayswater for $350. I'm not sure why they were so much cheaper. I do know it was one of the first half dozen they had made with the higher frame. Good Luck

Cheers James