Bike Rack

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Well I mentioned a few weeks back that we were designing a bike rack for the Panda. We searched this forum and with everyone's ideas we created ours. Here it is. It is small, integrates well into the van and offers heaps of clearance from the back of the car. Sorry they are not up right. Don't know what happened here.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Z ammm

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
On the inside of the bottom plate there was a nut welded and the bolt on the bottom just screws into it. It allows for it to be easily taken off if you need to access the spare wheel. Although in saying that the wheel does just slip over the top. It can also stay on the van when the bed end is opened. I do have another photo somewhere of the nut set up. I will find it and upload. The whole set up came to $29. The bike rack we already had.

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
here is another 2 photos. Hope this helps explain it a little better. The steel tube is 6mm, in case anyone was curious.
That's about it. This is my first contribution to this forum and I have been able to get heaps from this site since getting our panda, so I hope this is useful to someone.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
It will pay to check the welds and steel on the tyre support for any signs of stress after some use to @Zammm
Thanks 17triton shall do. We did get it checked by a friend of ours who is a Manufacturing Engineer. He seems confidant that it is all good due to the fact that the current Jayco frame holding the spare wheel is well spread over 4 points and our frame is set up directly in the middle of this. But time will tell. Thanks for looking.

Reactions: 17triton

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If someone is going to knock one up maybe make a couple, I would be interested. Great work Zammm, I like simple ideas that work. If I was to mod your idea, what about the bolt underneath being a high tensile long bolt with some spring washers with a 90 deg bend in the middle, that way it could be done up hand. I know I would forget the spanner one day.
EDIT. Like the bolt in the side of a Jockey wheel, the one with the red handle.

Last edited:

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Great idea. The bolt is actually a high tensile bolt and I chose the same size bolt as the spare wheels so that we always had the spanner in the van. I appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: macca