17' Series Best years for waterproof hard lids

Qldcrew

Oct 4, 2016
Toowoomba
We currently have a poptop Jayco Sterling with a double bed but with 4 children under 6 we are now outgrowing it!

We looked at the Expandas at a recent caravan show but were apprehensive about canvas bed ends. The salesman at the time said some years were better than others as far as leakage. I now cannot remember the years! Does anyone have anything to offer on this?

We are looking at a 17.56-2 under 40K so may not have much choice anyway. We will probably be getting storm covers made. I've read some great posts on those and other waterproofing options-thank you!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Qldcrew
We have a 2014 17.56.2 Outback and have had no issues with the bed lids leaking so far (Touching Wood).
I believe there have been a few 2015 models that suffered the leaking issue as the hardlid shape and seal had changed and as far as I know, without looking at one, they have reverted to the older style in 2016.... Stand to be corrected though ;)

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
If you have a look at a thread I put up a while ago it shows a solution that was done on our van. In Exterior, called Leaking bed end lid solution. Btw it's a 2013 model.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We have a 2015 17.56 with privacy screens an have never leaked even after been in the SA weather 2 weeks ago. We have clear plastic storm covers we made but never use them. The bedding can get damp if it's touching canvas when it's really cold outside but all canvas does that from condensation.

Reactions: Dobbie and rcf