16' Series Best Mods for 16.49.2 2008 OB?

CJB

Sep 16, 2016
Geelong
Hi everyone.

We've just purchased a 2008 OB, 16.49.2 from a dealer, moving from a Outback Swan. I've got 4 weeks until I need to pick it up, and just thinking about what mods I should get the dealer to do while they have it.

We do a mixture of free camping and caravan parks. We mostly holiday for a few weeks at a time and move around to explore places.

Already I'm getting an anderson plug and 8mm wire to the battery, and a second water tank.

But I'm open to ideas of what else to do. I was wondering about getting the spare wheel moved to the back, and some sort of tool box put on the front, but I'm not sure if the dealer will do that. I'm not a welder or anything, but I'm happy to wire 12volt stuff myself.

Keen for your ideas

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @CJB and welcome to the forum.
As @mfexpanda said beware of some on here as they (we) are more than happy to help you spend your hard earned 8-)

Agree with @WHHEMI in saying that you use your van and take the mods slowly as some people (myself included with our first expanda) will see something others have done, add the mod then find it was never used or really needed!!!!

As for a rear spare and toolbox...... That was one of the best ones I have done so far. I doubt very much if the dealer would do this for you but if you find a local fabricator or "non dealer" caravan repairer
i'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive!!

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if you can, maybe ask them if they can fit extra power points for you
under the table - for phone chargers etc - in the kitchen - for coffee machine
off side light -

Reactions: CJB and dagree

CJB

Sep 16, 2016
Geelong
Thanks guys for your input. It has all the wiring, just need to add a battery. Will use the Anderson plug to connect a solar panel.

Is it possible to add a rear fold down spare to the regular rear bumper or do you need to custom make?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Is it possible to add a rear fold down spare to the regular rear bumper or do you need to custom make?
Fitted ours to the original bumper (100 x 50 Square tubing). The bumper is suitable to add the wheel carrier but check the mounting points under the van. I strengthened/supported ours by adding some flat bar either side along where the bolts go through.

Reactions: bigcol