Discovery Bed length in 17.55-5 versus 17.55-5SH

Phoofa

Feb 9, 2014
Hi,
We've been looking around at pop tops and think we have decided on the Journey 17.55-5 however I want the toilet/shower model but we haven't been able to see one at the dealers to try the bed length out. Husband is tall (6'2") so we had to rule all the Expandas out as he just didn't fit in the beds. Have tried the island extending double bed in a Journey the dealer had in stock and length was fine but wondering if the length changes much when the bed is pushed to the side to make room for the shower etc? Dealer said the bed was difficult to make and not as good, but we have two young girls so I am pretty keen on an indoor toilet!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Phoofa

Dice

Jan 20, 2013
I'm 6'3" and have tried the bed on the 17.55.5sh and fitted OK just have to lay on the wall side of the bed. I also didnt have any problems in the expandas other than the height to get into bed, length was fine though

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I`m 6' 3" and find the expanda beds long enough as well but they are a bit low to get into but once you are laying down it`s fine. Oh and welcome to the forum @Phoofa .

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Both Journey's I've seen have normal centre double beds at front, one with full ensuite at rear, the other with Combo Dunny
does the Journey have a Bunk layout similar to the previous Discovery 17-55-5sh

Damn I wish Jayco would pull their finger out and release the info.

Combo layout

DSCN0241.JPG

DSCN0240.JPG

Phoofa

Feb 9, 2014
Hi Bushman,
I've seen those two layouts too and that's what we tried the bed in. However we've been told the Journey will come in the following layouts: 16.52-1,2,3,3DB, 17.55-3,4,5,5SH,7,7SH, 17.55-8,9. Dealer said he'd have a brochure in about 3 weeks.

Thanks Dice and Matt, Dunno why my husband can't fit in the Expanda, his feet hung off the end down the space between the canvas and mattress, maybe different models vary slightly? Can't remember which one we tried out.

I was wondering if anyone had an Expanda and slept front to rear, the dealer said nope but I wondered if in a 16.49-3 (not cafe dinette model) you could convert the lounge and table. Anyhow probably a question for the other forum threads.

Have found these forums a wealth of info. Thanks so far.

Reactions: Bushman

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Bushman,
I've seen those two layouts too and that's what we tried the bed in. However we've been told the Journey will come in the following layouts: 16.52-1,2,3,3DB, 17.55-3,4,5,5SH,7,7SH, 17.55-8,9. Dealer said he'd have a brochure in about 3 weeks.

I'll be interested in seeing those layouts, also want to see what they have done with the 18 series Expanda

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I'll be interested in seeing those layouts, also want to see what they have done with the 18 series Expanda
There is only one 18 (18.57-9) floor plan but you can delete the rear bed and have the robe to make is similar to the 6. They seem to be forgetting the 18 and thinking everyone now wants 20/21 if they want a large van. If you are watching Mr Jayco, another 18 floor plan would be nice with a full shower and toilet like the 18.57-5. Just one more plan, not much to ask for. As an example, we really want an 18 but want the larger shower not the combo. We don't want a 20 as that is just too big for us and our circumstances. Ahh..got that off my chest.:baby:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
There is only one 18 (18.57-9) floor plan but you can delete the rear bed and have the robe to make is similar to the 6. They seem to be forgetting the 18 and thinking everyone now wants 20/21 if they want a large van. If you are watching Mr Jayco, another 18 floor plan would be nice with a full shower and toilet like the 18.57-5. Just one more plan, not much to ask for. As an example, we really want an 18 but want the larger shower not the combo. We don't want a 20 as that is just too big for us and our circumstances. Ahh..got that off my chest.:baby:
I don`t think you would be on your own there Macca. Makes a lot of sense... Oh Well.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I'll post the measurement of the bed in the morning.

I can't over emphasise how good it is to have a toilet, especially for the girls.
Only downside I have found is it does smell if you don't empty it before traveling.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Taking the measurement from the edge of the padded bed head it is 1880mm long.
Width is 1350mm at the bed head and narrows down to 1200mm.

Good luck with your decision!

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
yeah star craft with separate toilet shower and bunks, yup that would be nice. You have to remember too with beds that run up against a hard wall seem bigger, because when your sleeping next to the wall yor are closer to the edge than you would be in a normal bed. I used to have a hiace camper van and the bed looked to narrow but when you both got in it because you slept nearer to the sides it seemed bigger. If you get what I mean. I like sleeping leaning up against a bulkhead reminds me of being at sea in the Navy.

Phoofa

Feb 9, 2014
Thanks for the replies! And thanks for the measurements. Now to find the tape measure...

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Hi,
We've been looking around at pop tops and think we have decided on the Journey 17.55-5 however I want the toilet/shower model but we haven't been able to see one at the dealers to try the bed length out. Husband is tall (6'2") so we had to rule all the Expandas out as he just didn't fit in the beds. Have tried the island extending double bed in a Journey the dealer had in stock and length was fine but wondering if the length changes much when the bed is pushed to the side to make room for the shower etc? Dealer said the bed was difficult to make and not as good, but we have two young girls so I am pretty keen on an indoor toilet!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Phoofa

G'day @Phoofa,

Have you thought about a new Starcraft 17.58-3?
image.jpg
Food for thought...
Cheers
greynt