16' Series Bed end

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
Gday everyone new member here quick intro my wife and i recently bought a 16" expanda it is the model with the toilet shower combo 2006 we really love the van i have been reading every post on this forum since we got the van. Being a 2006 model it has a few issues firstly it leaked around the roof corners have re silicone every thing all good the issue i have now is were the hinge on the bed ends is the canvas dosent seem to be attached correctly in the corners wondering if anyone had a photo of wat its supposed to look like
20151104_124711.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Welcome. Will find lots of forum items will be ready and willing to help out.
I reckon ours has a gap there as well but canvas flap ensures any water always stays outside, will need to check though.
:wave: Marv

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Welcome. Will find lots of forum items will be ready and willing to help out.
I reckon ours has a gap there as well but canvas flap ensures any water always stays outside, will need to check though.
:wave: Marv
Yes I think that's how they are meant to be of that year

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
Thanks for your reply marv just dosent look right to me havent had the chance to look at another expanda to see if they are all like that looks to me like water would run down the side and run down the inside hinge

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
The 2005 had a similar gap but if you use bedflys with side shields unless the rain is horizontal shouldn't have any problems with water leaks just keep the tracks clean and free of dirt helps to protect the hinges

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
Thanks for your replies thats a load of my mind thought something was wrong there i set up the bed end flys today to me it looks like only way to set the end poles is to have the end poles set so the fly rests on top of the canvas otherwise the water will not drain because of the spreader bar at the end just wondering if anyone had any pics of their flys set up on a soft top

alex duncan

Nov 6, 2015
salisbury heights south australia
hi corey ive just bought a 2004 pop top and also have the same issues with a gap but mine has been leaking for some time and have damp smell, but i think the front rubber seal is worn or collapsed and not sealing, plus the long black rubber seal with metal insert holder has rusted..i think the last owner has gone silicone crazy and tried to stop the leak but with no luck or the front bed hasn't been closed correctly. plus found the roof has small leak..

Reactions: Delano

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
Gday alex my van was leaking in roof corners i spent quite a few hours digging out the old sealant i re did the whole roof the way the top is designed it relys on the sealant being in top nic my sealant was cracked and had quite a few gaps especially around the moulded corner pieces this is my first van and iam no expert but i have noticed alot of vans have sealant on top of sealant in my opinion this will never work once it is uv affected it is stuffed and must come out before being reappled my metal frame around the front bed base on the outside were it meets the fiberglass also needed re doing as water was leaking in and wetting the inside wooden base

Reactions: Delano

alex duncan

Nov 6, 2015
salisbury heights south australia
well i spent about 2hrs digging out the old sealing from the front bed area {same as corey picture) and also noticed the front wooden bed is rotten, dont know how long its been leaking for but the last owner hasnt used the van for about 10 months...so now ive got the fun job of replacing the front wooden sleeping floor.doesnt look hard to do...beers and a whole lot of staring will be needed for this job!!

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
Hey alex let me know how u get on i think mine is salvageable going to get some water damage sealer on it then paint over top only one corner has started to swell rest is just water stained

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Hi Alex, we had the same problem, 3yrs ago we cut out the ply that had de-laminated dried the rest of it out then bogged it after saturating it with resin sanded it off then gave it a few coats of paint, then put in a new rubber seal , now after 30,000klms still all good, no more musty smell.
we have a 2005 16ft outback expanda use the flys if its cold or raining .hope this helps.
shiraz.

Reactions: bigcol

Ando

Apr 23, 2014
well i spent about 2hrs digging out the old sealing from the front bed area {same as corey picture) and also noticed the front wooden bed is rotten, dont know how long its been leaking for but the last owner hasnt used the van for about 10 months...so now ive got the fun job of replacing the front wooden sleeping floor.doesnt look hard to do...beers and a whole lot of staring will be needed for this job!!
G'Day Alex just wondering how you went with replacing the wooden sleeping floor? I have the exact same problem with my 2004 Expanda, would love some advice on how to do it.....

DazFamily

May 26, 2015
Caloundra
I have just replaced my front bed seal, the black one internally, due to rust and not sealing properly, does anybody have a photo of the way it should be installed. The original one never sat right and when I put new one in the same way it did not sit right. The bulk of the seal is sitting against the internal channel not over he hinge as it was. Will try and get photo. If anybody can help.

Last edited:

DazFamily

May 26, 2015
Caloundra
Gday everyone new member here quick intro my wife and i recently bought a 16" expanda it is the model with the toilet shower combo 2006 we really love the van i have been reading every post on this forum since we got the van. Being a 2006 model it has a few issues firstly it leaked around the roof corners have re silicone every thing all good the issue i have now is were the hinge on the bed ends is the canvas dosent seem to be attached correctly in the corners wondering if anyone had a photo of wat its supposed to look likeView attachment 36863
Corey did you ever fix this as I have had same issue with front bed but have now replaced black bed seal that sits internally