Bed end covers

marshalls

Aug 2, 2013
WA
Hi there,
We have an expanda poptop which is a 2007 model, which doesn't have anything over than just the canvas ends- just before they brought out the models with the hard lids. We also have the problem of when it rains the sheets & duvets get wet if they touch the sides, it's the only thing I don't like about the van.

Having read many posts on here about a similar issue (although all seem to be the vans with hard lids) as we don't have the hard lids I believe that the fly net attachment from holiday annexes isn't an option, anyone got any other ideas- it drives me nuts, hate wet bedding!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The pre hard lid models have a fly over them that slides through sail track and protects the canvas. We had a 2004 model before this one. You should be able to get them made up easy enough.

marshalls

Aug 2, 2013
WA
The pre hard lid models have a fly over them that slides through sail track and protects the canvas. We had a 2004 model before this one. You should be able to get them made up easy enough.
Okay,thanks for that, I think I will email holiday annexes and see what they suggest.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
You could quiz your local Jayco dealer or canvas manufacturer. I see your in WA should be someone over there that can help.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
This is what we had on our Hawk made by Alpine Canvas here in Victoria which would be similar to what you need for the Expanda. (They came with the Hawk)

021.jpg

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 314

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We ordered a set from Johnola's Bags & Stuff in QLD.. $350 + $45 delivery for a pair (No poles included).
First use Easter last year at Busselton with a couple of days/nights of heavy rain/storms didn't get one drop in the bed ends.
They did, however, end up with pools of water in them but I added adjustable tent pole between the centre and corner poles to increase roof tension and that made a big difference.

They allow airflow between them and the canvas keeps the bed cooler in warmer weather also.

http://www.johnolasbedflys.com.au/

Only issue we have had with ours is the staining from 2 weeks of possum poop and pee but that's not the suppliers fault ;)

Not associated with Johnola's Bags & Stuff... just a happy customer.

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a

Hi, WE also have the pre hardtop model,the flys in sail track do keep the rain off, WE traveled W.A in may and had 80mm and 100k winds at Dwellingup, rough weather for a week,they kept us dry as .the problem we had was the rubber seal near the hinge we replaced it dried out the ply and sealed it.just after we bought it,
welcome Shiraz

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
397230144.601886.png

Support the comments @Triton and @shiraz have offered. I've got the bed end awnings/screens and never had an issue. Mine made by Prestige Jayco in Geelong. Beaut thing is these slide on and off easily (my Flamingo had fixed ones). Easy to fold/roll up (or clean) when off the van. I modified the poles to avoid guy ropes and pegs atbed ends.

marshalls

Aug 2, 2013
WA
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies, looks like we will be able to find a good solution.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
IMAG0627.jpg IMAG0664.jpg IMAG0687 (1).jpgI could make something the same or similar for you, in clear plastic, canvas or shade cloth , contact me if you are interested.

Reactions: Dee351

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Support the comments @Triton and @shiraz have offered. I've got the bed end awnings/screens and never had an issue. Mine made by Prestige Jayco in Geelong. Beaut thing is these slide on and off easily (my Flamingo had fixed ones). Easy to fold/roll up (or clean) when off the van. I modified the poles to avoid guy ropes and pegs atbed ends

Hi Xpandafan
Would love to see how you modified poles to avoid pegs at bed ends. We now put the bed awnings in the back of ute much easier than rolling them up each time they also hide every thing in the back from prying eyes.
regards Shiraz.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
...Would love to see how you modified poles to avoid pegs at bed ends. We now put the bed awnings in the back of ute much easier than rolling them up each time they also hide every thing in the back from prying eyes.
regards Shiraz.
397574995.495283.png
397575550.990388.png

Simply flatten the bottom of the poles a little (in a vice) and put a rubber chair leg tip on the end. Fit against bed frame instead of on the ground and adjust length.
Secure/tension with light buckle straps thru handles. ($2 shop luggage straps)
I used an adjustable spreader bar on the bottom edge and made some simple stand-offs so I can tension with light buckle straps to drawbar (f) and towbar (r).
397575912.828077.png

Sounds far more complicated than it really is. I'm sure you can improve upon. No longer to set up than banging in pegs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duff an

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
View attachment 16184View attachment 16186
Simply flatten the bottom of the poles a little (in a vice) and put a rubber chair leg tip on the end. Fit against bed frame instead of on the ground and adjust length.
Secure/tension with light buckle straps thru handles. ($2 shop luggage straps)
I used an adjustable spreader bar on the bottom edge and made some simple stand-offs so I can tension with light buckle straps to drawbar (f) and towbar (r).
View attachment 16187
Sounds far more complicated than it really is. I'm sure you can improve upon. No longer to set up than banging in pegs.[/qu

Thanks Xpanda. "Wanda" has been hiding under her cover for the last 5wks while we pruned she is waiting to head to Flinders or Grampians
will do the mod before "that will keep her happy" and my wife. which means a great trip for me. thanks.

regards Shiraz.

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a

Not sure what happened did post reply.

Any how thanks Xpandafan.

Wanda has been tucked away under her cover for the last 6wks while we pruned , she and wife are chumping at the bit to get away,so the Flinders or Grampians are the next trip will do the Mod before we go a happy van and happy wife the rest falls into place. thanks.

regards Shiraz

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Happy to help @shiraz. It was one of the best tips I've picked up from this forum. PM me if any queries.
Also why not try one of my own ideas. Takes the effort out of winding stabilizers and driving pegs.
Make Mrs Shiraz's life a lot easier. ;) Rechargeable impact wrench and sockets, and coach screws for pegs.
Browse my thread "Expandafan's 18.57-7 - the learning curve" for more. (Post #66 if you want to skip the boring bits).

397707944.970187.png

Last edited:

Denny Crane

Aug 12, 2013
I think I have just read one of the most imformative posts in years......

Coach Screws for pegs. I can't see the pic that well, but it makes sense if you have a rechargeable impact wrench on hand.

Have you got some more info on that (or does it have / need it's own thread)?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I think I have just read one of the most imformative posts in years......
Coach Screws for pegs. I can't see the pic that well, but it makes sense if you have a rechargeable impact wrench on hand.
Have you got some more info on that (or does it have / need it's own thread)?
Welcome @Denny Crane.
Plenty of informative posts on this forum. The end fly mod is something I picked up from @Stone Stomper so credit where credit is due.;)
The tent pegs idea is mine, although there's very few really original ideas around.
You NEED a rechargeable wrench to wind your stabilizers. Mrs XF has bagged mine and it now lives in the van.
There's a bit more detail on the thread "Best way to deploy drop jacks" (from post #20 ish).
I got a few snide remarks about my peg system earlier in the year...at Albury Showgrounds, but once everyone else had bent their pegs, wrecked their shoulders, and turned the air blue in the process, I had plenty of converts!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome @Denny Crane.
Plenty of informative posts on this forum. The end fly mod is something I picked up from @Stone Stomper so credit where credit is due.;)
The tent pegs idea is mine, although there's very few really original ideas around.
You NEED a rechargeable wrench to wind your stabilizers. Mrs XF has bagged mine and it now lives in the van.
There's a bit more detail on the thread "Best way to deploy drop jacks" (from post #20 ish).
I got a few snide remarks about my peg system earlier in the year...at Albury Showgrounds, but once everyone else had bent their pegs, wrecked their shoulders, and turned the air blue in the process, I had plenty of converts!
Yes I think it's a great idea too. Did you use it to wind down legs also?