bed base rubbing

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
On our maiden voyage in our 14-44-5 last year we noticed water coming up from the road and pooling under the mattress. The dealer tightened the base and the problem appeared to be solved. We have just returned from a trip and have noticed the base is rubbing. When the base is closed there are plastic right angle bits, sorry don't know what to call them, up the top in each corner. These are shaving off as we travel and in some places are through to the metal. The lid appears to be rubbing on them and when we open the bed we are picking off shaved bits of plastic. It looks like it could be rubbing on the studs for the security screen. I seem to think if the base was tightened at the bottom where it joins to the van couldn't this cause the top to kick out and rub on the lid. Has anyone else had this problem.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
DSCN3782.JPG DSCN3783.JPG DSCN3791.JPG DSCN3792.JPG
Are these the bits you mean?
They do wear, these photos were taken just a month or so after we bought our van and they are worn a bit more by now.

Rose

Oct 27, 2013
View attachment 18114 View attachment 18115 View attachment 18116 View attachment 18117
Are these the bits you mean?
They do wear, these photos were taken just a month or so after we bought our van and they are worn a bit more by now.
Yes those are the bits. Ours are worn along the length. The plastic is coming of like finely grated cheese and in some places is onto the metal. I presume they can be replaced but would like to know the cause. There must be a lot of movement on the folded bed during travel

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Mine are the same. Privacy screen studs caused it. It's settled now. Jayco service looked at it & said rubber L piece is there to protect corners from studs etc..... Either way mine have stopped shedding grated rubber & settled.