16' Series BBQ Slide

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
I wanted a better stand for the Weber instead of plastic folding tables / camp kitchens etc .... latest mod is a pull out aluminium slide and when not in use it folds and slides into the 150x50 chassis rail and held in place with a pin. When cooking it slides right out to get away from the van , and then when not in use slides back in close to the van .The top is a folding aluminium table top from an old camping / bbq table and the slide is
40x40x3 mm round edge aluminium . The whole thing cost about 35 bucks .
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_127a.jpg

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
Great stuf @wally I love how simple that is! what stops it from tipping when it is extended out?

The chassis rail is about 150mm high so i put a 3/8 ss bolt through the chassis rail about centre of the van , so that the bottom of the hole I drilled was the top of the slide , and the aluminium slides tightly between the bolt and the bottom of the chassis rail. It took a little bit of working out where to drill the hole ,the ensure there was as little slack as poss. Then I made a stop from the piece of 40x40 i had left over and it is screwed onto the other end of the slide so when you pull it out it , it comes out as far as the bolt and stops , leaving about 1000mm of the slide in the rail and about 1200mm outside with the bbq on it

MickL

Feb 28, 2016
SA
Thats an awesome idea. What size is that table top and how does that attach to the base? Do you have to use a spanner to tighten and loosen the two arms that hold the top when you move them or are they loose enough to move without any tools? One last question which may be a dumb one but did you drill a hole on the underside and put the nut inside the tube? I'm assuming thats the case so it doesn't hit the chassis as it slides in....

Had a look just then and appears that bunnings don't sell the ally so must have to get it from elsewhere...

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneL and wally

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
Thats an awesome idea. What size is that table top and how does that attach to the base? Do you have to use a spanner to tighten and loosen the two arms that hold the top when you move them or are they loose enough to move without any tools? One last question which may be a dumb one but did you drill a hole on the underside and put the nut inside the tube? I'm assuming thats the case so it doesn't hit the chassis as it slides in....

Had a look just then and appears that bunnings don't sell the ally so must have to get it from elsewhere...

Yeah Mick , Bunnings don't stock it , I got it from a steel and aluminium supplier in North Brisbane ...they had everything there ...and exactly what i wanted , it cost about $30.00 for a 3.0m length. The swing out arms are attached with lock nuts so you can have them as tight as you like and they don't unwind when you swing them out, no spanner required . Yes the nuts holding the swing outs were a challenge as they can't go through the bottom of the rail . The arms are about 100mm and 600mm in from the end, so to tighten the 600mm one , I had to make up a spanner attached onto a piece of timber so I could tighten it , as it didn't want to drill another ( bigger ) hole in the bottom of the slide.
With the table top , I cut 2 little squares out of the underside , and these sit over the top of the 3/8 bolt heads so it doesn't move.
I was originally going to make a top out of a nice bit of timber , and still might do so , but I had the old alum table top so i used it.

Dizzy

Jun 3, 2017
Sydney
Hi Wally,
What are the dimensions of your table and the foldouts?? Im looking at eBay for a table and found one at 400 x 290.
This is my next project along with a bigger boot door so I can get the Baby Q in and out the side instead of the top.

Reactions: wally and bigcol