16' Series Battery charging

Bill Canuti

May 5, 2016
Melbourne
My name is Bill, I have a late model expanda fitted with 100 Amp battery.. It's now stored under cover for the winter so the battery is no longer charged by the solar panel fitted..I'd like to know whether I can leave the van hooked up to 240 V power point permanently or just switch on periodically.
Thanks in advance for any answers.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We once had a similar scenario and did some checking with Jayco and the Setec people.

The advice was to set up a regular 8 hour charge regime every month to keep the battery up and, obviously, turn off the battery switch in the van.

This worked.

Our final solution was to put our spare solar panel out as the draw bar faced the sun while the van was under cover. Connected via Anderson plug and with second controller. This kept the battery charge up with no intervention from us.

(We do tend to have better weather in qld though except recently)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just plug it into 240 with the battery switch on and your battery will be kept just right, all the other scenarios require you to do stuff, set and forget is far better. The Setec should keep it good, it's a multi stage charger, you need the battery switch turned on otherwise the battery is disconnected from the system...............Never failed me on my old rig.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Just plug it into 240 with the battery switch on and your battery will be kept just right, all the other scenarios require you to do stuff, set and forget is far better. The Setec should keep it good, it's a multi stage charger, you need the battery switch turned on otherwise the battery is disconnected from the system...............Never failed me on my old rig.

Been doing the same with our last two vans and no probs either!