17' Series Bargara-Allora-Tamworth-Dubbo-Blacksmith-Cessnock-Coffs-Caloundra-Bargara.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hi All,
Planning a trip in December to visit NSW and hit some Big 4's and see relli's. We are looking for Free camps in the Toowoomba region, we came up with Allora. Also needing something in the Coffs region.
We have Camps 6, but would also like local knowledge and advice.
Hopefully can get into Big 4 in Tamworth, Dubbo and Cessnock.

Our rough plan is:-
Bargara-Allora-Tamworth-Dubbo-Blacksmith-Cessnock-Coffs-Caloundra-Bargara.
Dates are 14th-29th December.

Looking forward to all your thoughts.

Thanks Dean.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hi @cruza driver we are still going but thread had no interest or advice so I thought just to delete it. Plenty of lookers but no knowledge of the route we want to take into NSW.
Anyway, I will research this week-end as we are down at KILKIVAN BUSH CAMP for 4 days as of today.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards
Dean.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi @cruza driver we are still going but thread had no interest or advice so I thought just to delete it. Plenty of lookers but no knowledge of the route we want to take into NSW.
Anyway, I will research this week-end as we are down at KILKIVAN BUSH CAMP for 4 days as of today.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards
Dean.
You sure get plenty of use out of your Expanda :thumb:

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
In caloundra stay at the park on bulcock st near centre of town. I have been going to caloundra every year for pst 15 or so and they have done some major renos to it and it looks good. It has acces to a really well made pathway straight in to town or 6 or so km up along pulmistone passage. Australia zoo is expensive but i think worth it. And the big kart track is worth a visit to for a crack on the go carts. Coffs harbour Darlington park is the go. But if your a wax head long oad rider you cant go past scotts head 60 km south of coffs. Never heard of bargara?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hmmm don't have my map with me as I am away at the beach house so will have a look when I get home but here is some rough ideas.

Dubbo - There is a good big 4 there but if you go about 20 minutes out of town there's a nice free camp on a river which is not a bad. Its in camps 6 and 7 there is two of in close proximity just out of dubbo and its obviously the creek one.

Coffs Harbour - Scotts head is nice and is a bit of a hike of the main drag with good beaches plus a van park so is a bit more laid back and quiter. Darlington big the sites are huge, there is a bmx track for the kids, plenty of rooms around and a good pool.

Grafton South - This is a weird one but if you are looking for a one nighter to fill the tanks I highly recommend xx village its an absolute stunning park with clean facilities and well priced. Its on the other side if Grafton away from the main highway but I pull in here regularly as its just stunning.

Lennox Head - I know its not on your list but its only two hours up from coffs and the park here whilst simple has the tea tree oil lake on one side and a nice surf beach on the other side liter rally across the road from the beach. If it was me I would go the extra two hours and stay here over coffs.

Caloundra - We are going to be at the big 4 caloundra from the 26th if you are in town hit me up it would be good to catch up. Never stayed there myself but giving it a go this year as I want to fish the area this year. @Four of us is at Maroochydore from memory if so maybe we could all meet up?

Cessnock - Barring tops is a little bit further about 40 minutes and has a great free camp Frying Pan Creek where you can get the van in. Nice spot and there is a good creek with chilly water for a cool off and plenty of wood to make a nice fire. It can get busy though so try and get in early.

Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hmmm don't have my map with me as I am away at the beach house so will have a look when I get home but here is some rough ideas.

Dubbo - There is a good big 4 there but if you go about 20 minutes out of town there's a nice free camp on a river which is not a bad. Its in camps 6 and 7 there is two of in close proximity just out of dubbo and its obviously the creek one.

Coffs Harbour - Scotts head is nice and is a bit of a hike of the main drag with good beaches plus a van park so is a bit more laid back and quiter. Darlington big the sites are huge, there is a bmx track for the kids, plenty of rooms around and a good pool.

Grafton South - This is a weird one but if you are looking for a one nighter to fill the tanks I highly recommend xx village its an absolute stunning park with clean facilities and well priced. Its on the other side if Grafton away from the main highway but I pull in here regularly as its just stunning.

Lennox Head - I know its not on your list but its only two hours up from coffs and the park here whilst simple has the tea tree oil lake on one side and a nice surf beach on the other side liter rally across the road from the beach. If it was me I would go the extra two hours and stay here over coffs.

Caloundra - We are going to be at the big 4 caloundra from the 26th if you are in town hit me up it would be good to catch up. Never stayed there myself but giving it a go this year as I want to fish the area this year. @Four of us is at Maroochydore from memory if so maybe we could all meet up?

Cessnock - Barring tops is a little bit further about 40 minutes and has a great free camp Frying Pan Creek where you can get the van in. Nice spot and there is a good creek with chilly water for a cool off and plenty of wood to make a nice fire. It can get busy though so try and get in early.

Hi @expanda thanks for your reply.
Hopefully we have some luck booking some places this w.end.
Cheers Deano

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Hi @Deano , can back up @expanda in regard to the Big 4 in Dubbo- it was a nice park in a very handy position to the zoo. Has a pool & usual big 4 facilities. We stayed in the Coffs area on the way back from the zoo too, out at Sawtell Beach Holiday Park rather than in Coffs itself. Sorry & others might disagree but Coffs town itself isn't anything special, hence our decision to stay at Sawtell which was about 10 mins south of Coffs out on the coast. Easy to get into Coffs as needs be to do the Dolphin park, Big Banana, etc. Sawtell was a Big park with plenty of space, even when we stayed there which was a couple of days after New Year. The village was a nice too with plenty of cafés, small interesting shops & the pub was great - This was about 4 years ago though so not sure what the pub would be like now.

I got a feeling we tried Darlington as first option but they were full up or wanted a longer minimum stay. That was our main problem in a few places on the coast.

If you don't end up in Lennox we could recommend South Balina Beach Resort which was our next stop after Sawtell. The beach there is no good for swimming but park has pool anyway. Good fishing & there is 4wd beach access from park. They also had unpowered area which allowed open fires. 10 or so mins out of Balina via car ferry across the river.

Frosty.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hi @Frosty thanks for the info.
We are starting to look at our options this week-end.
Will keep you posted on how we fair.
Thanks again.
Deano

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
In caloundra stay at the park on bulcock st near centre of town. I have been going to caloundra every year for pst 15 or so and they have done some major renos to it and it looks good. It has acces to a really well made pathway straight in to town or 6 or so km up along pulmistone passage. Australia zoo is expensive but i think worth it. And the big kart track is worth a visit to for a crack on the go carts. Coffs harbour Darlington park is the go. But if your a wax head long oad rider you cant go past scotts head 60 km south of coffs. Never heard of bargara?
Hi @fishinglizard taking it all onboard. Thanks for taking the time to give us an idea.
Cheers Deano