17' Series Ball weight

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Hi everyone, I am in the process of installing a toolbox on the drawbar of our 2016 17.56-2. This got me thinking about ball weight. I had a look on the plate inside the door and it says unloaded weight 201kg but next to it is max ball weight and this says N/A. Do I have a maximum ball weight to work to or is this determined by the tow vehicle, ours being a mn Triton with 300kg?
Thanks, Chris.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your max ball weight is stipulated by the vehicle tow ball weight, information on van plate is probably incorrect.
Before fitting a tool box on your bar measure from your tow ball to the outer edge of your vehicle then run the tape from your van hitch and mark the distance, anything inside that point will be hit by your vehicle when doing a tight turn.
Many threads on here about this subject.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you beat me to it @Drover

be careful of what size box you fit on the front
if you have the extended draw bar - you've got no worries
if not - as above from @Drover

as to Max towball weight, you are governed by your tow vehicle - but - dont forget, your Towball mass is added to your vehicle weight

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks Drover and bigcol, I did get the extended drawbar so I can mount the box. I have a 1400 X 500 X 500 box with a gas bottle each end. I will have plenty of clearance for tight turns but will be getting up there with tow all weight. I will only be putting the Weber, hoses, power chord and a few other light items in the toolbox but might have to put some items up the back to bring the ball weight back to around 250kgs.
Thanks again, Chris.