Baby on the way

Braden

Aug 20, 2013
Kalgoorlie
Hi everyone. New to the forum and been enjoying catching up on some of the posts over the last couple of days. Already got a few ideas for mods.

We are expecting our first bub in January and was wondering if anyone has some useful tips on what we can do to our expanda. Particularly interested in storage solutions and where the bub can sleep as porta cots don't look as though they fit.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome to the forum @Braden.
Actually you can get camping porta cots that fit the expanda bed ends.
We had a Phil and Teds portacot.
You would erect most of it then place the cot in position and snap in the last pole.
The nice thing about the Phil and teds is that it has zips on the top and sides. So once in place you access bubs from the side of the cot.
Here's the link
http://philandteds.com/us/Products/Sleep

Enjoy the forum

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Braden post: 49944 said:
Hi everyone. New to the forum and been enjoying catching up on some of the posts over the last couple of days. Already got a few ideas for mods.
We are expecting our first bub in January and was wondering if anyone has some useful tips on what we can do to our expanda. Particularly interested in storage solutions and where the bub can sleep as porta cots don't look as though they fit.
Welcome @Braden and Gemma. Congratulation. Exciting times at your place! I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice here. @Brad 's suggestion seems right on the money.

I'm at the Grandpa stage so my caravan/parenting tips are not what you're looking for! Although our three are still all alive. Our last kid used to sleep in the lift out section of the pram, jammed in wherever (floor or dinette seat) if not on a bed end. We once we put the middle one in a drawer (not closed) in an on- site cabin (probably left child scarred for life).

We had a thing called a bouncinette (or something like that) and it was great in and out of vans. Don't know if they're still available. I could rock baby with my foot and drink at same time ( as close as I got to multi-skilling).Bubs can see more of what's going on.

Also have recently seen small inflatable baby bath which looked like a terrific idea. Down the track a bit you'll want a playpen of some sort and a pre-loved umbrella stroller just for the van (off eBay) that can be left outside without tempting the light fingered low life. Doubles as a chair at cocktail hour. Recently we had visitors with a baby. Just slept on a bunny rug on the rubber annexe matting.

In most parks there are also seems to be a travelling granny or two who'll jump at the chance to help with cuddles, nappy changes, bathtime, laundry, etc., just to help you out. Travelling with a baby was never a drama for us.

For my grand-kids I thought of some sort of electric fence run from the van battery, but Nana wouldn't hear of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Actually, @Xpandafan reminded me of another requirement with camping with kids.
Take the grandparents along. Grandkids seem to know that grandparents will spoil them.
This can be a concern to a parent on occasions.
Except of course at 6am in the morning when camping and the kids jump on your bed.
This is the perfect time to remind the kids that they will be better off in the grandparents van for a while.
The kids go to grandparents van, you fall back asleep, job done.:becky:

Reactions: Beno and Xpandafan

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @Braden and Gemma. As @Xpandafan says, you are bound to get lots of advice here as there are many members with small children, but like Xpandafan, I am also at the grandparent age but we are a bit meaner and only have a two berth van. :devilish:

Enjoy the forum and the new bub too.

Reactions: Xpandafan

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi with or first kid we used the Basanet (sorry about spelling) of or Bema q pram was very good second kid went in a porta cot but depends if got room in van for that if all else fails put it in your bed plenty of people do that to

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Welcome and congratulations. We slept all of ours in the lft out top section of the pram when we first took the away, all at about 3 weeks. @Brad's idea looks like a great one though and I would be investigating this option if we had children at that age still.

I am sure baby will love the lifestyle, almost kids do.

Reactions: Xpandafan

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Guess congratulations ate due about now? Hope it's all going really well for you all.
Two of our babies have grown up in the expanda, and we slept both of them until 6or 7 mths old in a bassinet. During the day/evening, they'd sleep in it placed on our bed; draw curtains for dark; small 12v fan hooked from hockey bar for air circulation if hot.
When it was time for us to go to bed, we'd put the bassinet on the couch next to our QS bed end. Really easy for feeds or if they stir during the night bc could take them out or settle them as required by leaning over couch back.. Didn't even have to get out of bed, and they were comfy and safe too.
All the best, whatever you decide (or have decided), and happy caravanning with your new little joy-bringer :)

Reactions: blacky
Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
Congratulations, plan for the future get an expanda for at least 3 kids, reduces risk of running out of room and the hassle of buying and selling, happened with us we had 2 and a hawk 3rd made it a bit squishy hence the expanda with bunks which is also a lounge until u require them one day.