Awning problems

allott1

Nov 21, 2013
I have a 2011 16-49-2. The front leg of the rollout awning has pulled the screws out of the van.Has anyone else had this happen?? How do I fix it?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I thought these were screwed into the aluminium inside the walls? If so I'd consider using oversize screws.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I thought these were screwed into the aluminium inside the walls? If so I'd consider using oversize screws.

Nah mate there is a big pieces of hardwood in these location where they position for these type of screws to go into. I seen them during the factory tour placing them in when they were make up the walls.
Also, when I fitted my awning, i done the good old knock with a knuckle to be sure what I was drilling into when i placed the feet for the uprights.
Pace.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nah mate there is a big pieces of hardwood in these location where they position for these type of screws to go into. I seen them during the factory tour placing them in when they were make up the walls.
Also, when I fitted my awning, i done the good old knock with a knuckle to be sure what I was drilling into when i placed the feet for the uprights.
Pace.

Thanks mate, see I learnt something today! :)

MastoCamper

Feb 22, 2013
Footscray
Hi @Burnsy

I just replaced the dodgy coach screws holding my awning arms on to the side of the van for a different purpose as you can see on my post; http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/mastos-16-49-1b.3104/, the timber inside the wall at that location looked like ply wood (essentially a soft wood laminated), sorry to doubt Pace and hard wood would have been ideal, but your screw shouldn't have pulled out.

I wood suggest either builders bog or drilling out inserting thread inserts (made specifically for soft woods) as I had done and replace the screws with bolts, washers and spring washers.

Cheers
Masto

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @Burnsy

I just replaced the dodgy coach screws holding my awning arms on to the side of the van for a different purpose as you can see on my post; http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/mastos-16-49-1b.3104/, the timber inside the wall at that location looked like ply wood (essentially a soft wood laminated), sorry to doubt Pace and hard wood would have been ideal, but your screw shouldn't have pulled out.

I wood suggest either builders bog or drilling out inserting thread inserts (made specifically for soft woods) as I had done and replace the screws with bolts, washers and spring washers.

Cheers
Masto
Thanks mate, sounds like a great solution, I'll remember that if my screws ever pull out.
Cheers.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had ours pull out (Due to slightly bent arm) when closing the awning. Unfortunately took some big sections of timber with it.
Cut some aluminium chequer plate, screwed that to the ali frame and refitted the awning mount to the plates.

Have a couple of pics on laptop. Will get it out and post if I find them.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Found them...... Might not look the prettiest but it has strengthened the arms (Best I could do the day before leaving for a trip and all I had on hand). Did the same to the front as I removed the fittings and there were a few hairline cracks in the wall around the screw holes.

Fixed001.jpg Fixed002.jpg Ouch001.jpg Ouch002.jpg Ouch003.jpg

Before and after.
Might redo them one day with powder coated flat ali sheet so they don't stand out as much.

Reactions: Burnsy and macca

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good job @dagree, I must say now that I've had an "inside look" I don't think that's a real good design on the manufacturers behalf.....I'd prefer tapped holes in aluminium!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Couldn't believe it either when I saw that they were only screwed into timber (and a thin layer of fibreglass).
Apart from getting half the screws into the ali frame there was half a tube of heavy strength liquid nails pumped in the hole prior to screwing the chequer plat on..... HMMMM that might make it a little bit hard to remove if I do redo it :o