17' Series Attn; 17.58-3ob owners

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I use one only to reduce the porpoising out of the van. Im generally an anti WDH disciple for my own personal perspective. Nissan recommend against them, and from my layman's processing I just can't square away the extraordinary twisting force they apply to the tow bar and chassis. I have no interest in what the likes of Hayman Reece have to say about them, because they have a vested interest, but I would love to sit down with a Nissan engineer and have it explained to me.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree again.

Have had Nissans and abided by their recommendation for no WDH but no real idea why.

Will ask when next in for Nissan service.

Reactions: Mrjoel86

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
From memory I think it was something to do with tow bar mounts and they only support the tow ball weight and towing weight if you install a genuine Nissan heavy duty tow bar.

I do know they are pedantic about it!

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
We're using WDH on our 17.55 OB Journey and also have airbags and stiffer springs in the rear of the Paj. We're still very new to WDH but so far loving the extra stability they are providing to the setup compared to just the bags/springs combo.

Reactions: Bluey

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
We use them on our on road 17.58-3 with our Patrol. Also use airbags pumped up half way. Handles and tows real well.

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Used them on the previous 16.49.3 and improved the towing (Especially by stopping the "porpoising" being single axle).
With the current 17.56.2 we can't fit them due to the off road hitch. Upgraded the suspension to HD and air bags, fitted an adjustable tow hitch and tows just like the old van with 26PSI in the bags!

Reactions: Crusty181

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@Crusty181

I'm not a Nissan engineer and probably wouldn't admit to it if I was.

Think of the tow hitch as the the balance point of all of the downwards forces on the car/van combination.

When put the wdh on and pull the bars up onto the chains you are creating a rotating force.

This force is trying to rotate the tow bar down towards the ground through the car, hence the front of the car tries to move lower. The tow ball itself is trying to rotate away from the ground, hence the front of the van tries to lift.

The wdh at the chains is trying to pull the draw bar down to the ground.

This is why the forces are so large. The wdh bar, tow bar and draw bar are all carrying forces, mostly trying to balance the various loads between their contact points.

The wdh chains and draw bar. The tow bar connections to the car. The wdh and the tow bar.

When you go forward and turn you change left to right load distribution slightly. When you reverse you cause this change to increase to a larger degree (partially unloading one side and adding additional load to the other)potentially overloading either the car or draw bar. That's why you should always disconnect the wdh when reversing.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Crusty181

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'll ignore WDH.

I want my Nissan warranty to be upheld.

Sorry.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
hi guys are you guys using weights distribution hitches on your vans? Or do you find it ok with out, cheers

No I don't in the 17:58-3

The standard ball wieght is really low in these (130kg) even loaded up and modded like ours we are <200kg

Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I don't with my 17 on the landcruiser. Feels very comfortable without, and appears to be sitting flat.
However, I have a gvm upgrade which changed the factory springs. The handbook also suggested it wasn't required until the weight of the van exceeded the weight of the car.