Anyone towing with the new Pathfinder?

Matho

Feb 15, 2015
Carnegie
Hi team,
After a tug ($30-40k) as I've just ordered the 17.56-1 OB Panda. Four kids so needs to be comfy for them in the third row, whilst towing the 2,500 required. Most seats in the back are pretty crappy. The 2014 Pathy seems great as the everyday drive, but how does it tow? Rated at 2700kg max, but would think the AWD would be essential. Thoughts?

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok, Ill break the suspence everyone has been waiting for and chime in.R51 all the way,what else was l going to say.Diesel tows great and that type weight on the ball wont ride well,IMO.
@stuartcarr2002 thoughts pls. Cheers Pace.
R51 pathy is a great tow vehicle. Happy with ours.

R52 is a great car to drive, especially over the R51.

The clincher is they will use more fuel towing than the diesel R51. I have spoken to a few who tow with them and they say they are a good tow vehicle but a little thirsty.

If going R52 a 4wd would be essential. the FWD models torque steer without towing so I could imagine with something hanging off the back it would be an issue.

14 build models onwards seem ok with the shudder issue in the CVT. The ones that are getting replaced are from 13 build models and there is a software update for ones that haven't had a CVT replaced. Supposed to fix the issue.

My pathy is up for sale in a few months. o_Oo_O. 2010 ST 140kw auto with 55000 klms.

Reactions: Matho

Matho

Feb 15, 2015
Carnegie
R51 pathy is a great tow vehicle. Happy with ours.

R52 is a great car to drive, especially over the R51.

The clincher is they will use more fuel towing than the diesel R51. I have spoken to a few who tow with them and they say they are a good tow vehicle but a little thirsty.

If going R52 a 4wd would be essential. the FWD models torque steer without towing so I could imagine with something hanging off the back it would be an issue.

14 build models onwards seem ok with the shudder issue in the CVT. The ones that are getting replaced are from 13 build models and there is a software update for ones that haven't had a CVT replaced. Supposed to fix the issue.

My pathy is up for sale in a few months. o_Oo_O. 2010 ST 140kw auto with 55000 klms.
Thanks Stuart, awesome advice. The folks had an R51 and were happy with it. I'm thinking the missus would be pretty happy with the R52 as the day to day drive. What do you reckon 2-3l per hundred km extra over the 51? One percent finance is pretty attractive though!
On the note of your pathy.....I don't get our van til June or so........stay in touch!

Reactions: stuartcarr2002

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Disco too thirsty dave? Great third row seating in them. Repairs exxy too?
We would keep the Disco, 4 kids and my car is a Mini :) getting sick of swapping, I also like to take a car 4WD. Wife would kill me if I dinted hers..
Yes we avg around 19-20's..Talked to a few Pathfinder people they get 15-16's so not a huge saving.
Territory people boast 12-14's that be a difference. Although the 3rd row does not split.
A D4 be nice although $50k s/h
Even if I get a Pathfinder or Territory we may still tow with the Disco it tows very nice, air suspension.
The Disco third row is great and good safety with the little ones.
Repairs not great we do not go to Land Rover :) he he so cheaper.
when the warning lights come on just turn engine off remove key wait 20 seconds re-start and lights go away :)

Reactions: Sweet Pea and Matho

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Thanks Stuart, awesome advice. The folks had an R51 and were happy with it. I'm thinking the missus would be pretty happy with the R52 as the day to day drive. What do you reckon 2-3l per hundred km extra over the 51? One percent finance is pretty attractive though!
On the note of your pathy.....I don't get our van til June or so........stay in touch!
With mine i get around the 12-13 kph towing a 16 49 OB. From what i have heard towing the R52 gets around the 18-20lph. That said around town and not towing the R52 is actually better than the R51 TD. That of course is nice driving. Driving it hard it will use a lot more. That said it is a very lazy set up so you don't have to flog it to get it going. The V6 and CVT work very well together.

Mine will be in the for sale section around May. Im getting new Nav :)