16' Series Anyone figured a way to mount fly poles without ropes and pegs?

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
hi all have a soft lid Expanda, and interested to see if anyone has mount system they have though up to eliminate the ropes and pegs for the bed end fly?

Tried a search but maybe my wording was no good!

I have a few thoughts but before I start fabricating thought one of you may have already done the hard yards!

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have seen one using those fold up, bendy firbreglass poles that you get with modern tents nowadays........you can buy them at BCF, never took a photo sadly but I think they had 2 that sort of hooped over the outside of the awning with canvas loops.

Reactions: chris demetrious

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks @Drover and @chartrock .

Given all the mount possibilities there has to be a better way.

Problem is left to my own devices it will be twice as heavy as it should be ( however it will stand through a tornado).....but will also take twice as long to but up than the poles and pegs bahahahahha.

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
its an interesting conundrum....and worth investigating.

I guess the first issue is to keep the fly separate from the roof itself or you'll get water, heat, condensation so a rigid spreader bar type of support would be needed. As Drover suggested you might be able to rig up a couple of the foldable light tent thingies to do that.

Then it would be just a matter of a couple of bungees to hold them in place and attach to the base and side of the bed ends. (We used to use bungees to the bed support bar when in a hurry but the fly touched the canvas so it could be better)

Those clip on attachments for tarps...easy clips....would probably work.

Anythings gotta be easier than the pole and rope approach but in wind and rain you'd definately need the poles and ropes!

:barbershop_quartet_member:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@chris demetrious I have seen once before on a thread here......... a soft lid Expanda with the awning over the beds
expanda bed awning.jpg

expanda bed awening.jpg

maybe an idea...........????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have seen a couple of them but the prices quoted were a bit scary, looked fantastic though.

chris demetrious

Jul 12, 2016
Melbourne
Mmm I like it... I think the concept could be adapted to use my existing flys. It's got me thinking about mount points and maybe having an ally frame hinged off the van.

The right design could be lighter than the steel poles it eliminates!

A bit like a boat canopy!

Thanks @bigcol

Reactions: dagree and bigcol