Anti-Flap or Buckle Annex walls?

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Hi all,

We take delivery of a 2008 HL 16-49.1 Expanda next week and cant wait to get it out and about - and revel in how much room we have compared to our old Finch! Were looking into Annex walls at the moment. From what I can tell it has the standard Jayco roll out Awning (or is it a Dometic one?!?).

We can get Annex walls that use a buckle system (like a Wilfords Annex) that work out $400 cheaper than walls with a anti-flap bar on each end. I put a few calls in and someone mentioned that the buckles are better for the pop-top Expanda because there are issues with mounting the brackets to the van for the anti-flap bar to connect to? Sounds a little strange?

Eitherway, any feedback on the pitfalls/benefits of either? The obvious one I can think of is you can still use the anti flap bars without the walls on windy days - but the buckle system is a lot easier to carry?

Cheers!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have had anti flap bars on both my old pop top and new full height expanda.
No problems with the bracket in both cases.

i like the anti flap bars because the provide rigidity to the awning in the wind.
would still tie things down but there is a clear difference to how solid the awning becomes with the anti flap bars in place.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
RJ, Gday and welcome to the forum. Go the anti flap bar method over the buckle system for me. Yes, you can use just the bars and not the annexe walls, all ways recommended to use when ever awning is out. Cheers Pace.

Reactions: Xpandafan

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
The buckle system still requires a pole at the top of the annexe wall. These do not seal the annexe , so in driving rain you will get water in side the annexe. IMHO go for the deflapper set up, as stated above, it offers more rigidity and you can use the bars without the walls.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I've only had the buckle system on both pop top and full height vans, easy to use and never had a leak as the end walls tuck under the awning at the top. There is a bar which passes through the top of the wall in a pocket so this also makes it sturdy and if you don't want walls on you can still put these bars up and use anti flappers, in saying this the anti flap bars do look good.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
I have the same as burnsey on my current van and have had no issues, but in saying that also had same style buckle annexe on my Freedom and it tended to leak in one area where it joined the awning.

Buckle system seems sturdy enough to me but hard to compare as I have never had a any other style.

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Ended up going for a Wilfords Annex with the anti-flap bars. The dealer we got the van from cut us a great deal. I was very impressed to see the van getting new bearings, brakes checked, and cleaned and lubed! Good to know it'll be in good order when we pick it up! Has anyone had a go at making privacy screens out of shade sail type material?