Anti flap bars

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Everyone
I was wondering if I could get some advice? I have a Carefree Awning on a 16-49-4 2013. I am looking at the Aussie Traveler Anti Flap Bars and am not sure about the size. They come in a small, medium, large. Does anyone out there have these on your van of the same size? Is around $341.00 a reasonable price with RVCampworld? Thx.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Gee I didn't realize they came in different sizes. I have a pair that I purchased when I had a 16. Now I have a 18 and they still fit. So not sure what the difference is.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Our 16.49.4 has the small kit (2100-2200mm). If you are going to get an annexe, the manufacturer will supply it. There is a bit of drilling to fit them. A couple 10mm holes in the roller. You have to get the holes in the exact spot. I fitted mine and thought I did them right but we recently had our van prepared for annexe by Tebbs and I noticed they re drilled holes in different spots. You have to have it so the awning material finishes in just the right spot so the water does not pool and the material does not fatigue on the edge. So I learnt there is more to it. I bought ours from Tebbs, pretty sure they were below $300,but that was last year. A curved rafter would also be good.

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Thank you maccayak for the info. I am thinking,based on what Brad has said, maybe I should get the medium just in case I ever upgrade to a larger van I won't need to buy another set.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thank you maccayak for the info. I am thinking,based on what Brad has said, maybe I should get the medium just in case I ever upgrade to a larger van I won't need to buy another set.
Yeah but I have had mine for years. I am wondering if there were three sizes back then.

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Thx maccayak. You mentioned yours were the small ones. Did you measure your awning out to establish this size? Do they fit nicely? Is your awning a Carefree? Sorry for bombarding you with questions.......

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Zammm,
I just fitted the Aussie Traveller anti flap kit and a curved roof bar to my new 14.44-4 ob. They come in 3 sizes, and you can look at their website to see what size you require. When I spoke with them, they said the Expanda's generally use the small size. If you measure your awning length and give them a call, they will advise the best size for your van. Call the QLD number as they were very helpful.
Hope that helps

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thx maccayak. You mentioned yours were the small ones. Did you measure your awning out to establish this size? Do they fit nicely? Is your awning a Carefree? Sorry for bombarding you with questions.......

I just told Tebbs what I had and they gave them to me. The joiner in the middle only shows about 70mm of inner tube so If I had the next size AFK's then they would not fit. They fit heaps better after Tebbs rectified:) my original installation (which I thought was good). Mine is a Carefree. They survived a pretty windy day over the Melb Cup weekend.

Cheers Geoff

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Geoff,
If you undo the 2 screws retaining the inner tube you can then pull out the inner tube and turn it around. Then simply put the 2 screws back in and that should give you the required length to connect the 2 afk pieces together.
Once I turned the inner tube around on mine they were a good fit.
Cheers
Nick

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Thx heaps to everyone on the advise given. I love this forum. Oh by the way we are currently in the process of Engineering a bike rack for our van. It will sit between the 2 gas bottles facing towards the car. I know through previous searching, that there is allot of options out the. So I will take some pics and put them up once done. So far it has cost us $23 and we just need to get it painted up now. It may be useful for someone.