17' Series Another toolbox question...

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
Hi all

I am starting to work through the long list of "must haves" for when the new 17.56-2OB arrives next year... and I am up to the drawbar tool box!

I know there are heaps of threads on this forum regarding tool box set-ups, and they have given me some fantastic ideas so thanks all for sharing!! :grouphug:

I am hoping that someone might have some advice for me though on a specific query. My box will be designed to fit the 2 gas bottles internally, along with a Honda EU20i plus related bits in a slide out draw at one end and a Weber Q220 (hopefully) on a slide at the other end. What I would like to know is does anybody have a similar set-up, and if so what dimensions will the box need to be?

It appears that I will be limited to 500mm in height according to others in the forum, is this correct as I haven't had a chance to measure the gap between the frame and the bed base once opened. Also, what width and depth would be required/ideal to fit this in? I have researched the dimensions of the gas bottles, generator and weber, but it would be handy to know if someone has a similar set-up and what their dimensions are.

Oh, I have the extended drawbar and will of course relocate the spare wheel!

Thanks all for your :help:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @MichaelB. For comparison with your requirements, I had the box pictured on my 16.49.01 OB, which would be the same front as your van (minus the ext drawbar). I had only the one gas bottle, and next to the gas bottle I could comfortably fit camp chairs, folded flat that were 1040mm long x 600mm wide with a little jiggling room.

I added a flat plate to the bottom of the gas cage chassis bracket, and re attached the cage through the box, which ended with the bottle as close to the left inside of the box as possible .... and that left enough space to the right for the 1040mm chairs.

The lid cleared the box comfortably, by around 3cm, and you could open the box with the bed down just enough to get your hand in when you forget the important stuff out before you opened the bloody bed .... but thats another story

You would struggle to fit what you list in my box, dimension wise. My box, dimension wise, you would have 1040mm to squeeze in the other gas bottle the generator and the Weber ........ me thinks you need a bigger box

Pics for reference
large.jpg 2013-12-31 19.22.12 copy.jpg

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
Thanks @Crusty181 appreciate your comments and the pictures!

It would look like a depth of 600mm would be a good way to go and you have confirmed the 500mm height so thanks for that. Obviously my box will need to be in the 1800-1900mm width category to make it all fit!

I have seen that some members have similar size boxes to this on the front, and it doesn't seem to pose any turning circle issues with the extended bar which is good

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @Crusty181 appreciate your comments and the pictures!

It would look like a depth of 600mm would be a good way to go and you have confirmed the 500mm height so thanks for that. Obviously my box will need to be in the 1800-1900mm width category to make it all fit!

I have seen that some members have similar size boxes to this on the front, and it doesn't seem to pose any turning circle issues with the extended bar which is good
I didnt have the ext drawbar, and my rear bumper would impact the tool box on the front of the box, a few inch in from the corners. That didnt cause me any issues, just had to keep that in mind.

I would think with your ext drawbar you would easily clear a 600mm box. The width of the box would be irrelevant because the impact zone is likely on the front of the box anyway.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@MichaelB we also have a box of similar dimensions as @Crusty181 and can also confirm the 500mm height is the maximum that will fit.
Ours is 50mm longer and also hits the Prado's rear bumper just in from the corner.

No probs when reversing as I usually concentrate on it when reversing but unfortunately had a situation where I had to do a sharper turn than normal going forward and totally forgot about it at the time..... Only minor damage to the rear bar.

Having an extended bar I would say you'll have no issues at all like others.

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
Thanks guys! I think 600mm depth would be useful. I was originally planning 500mm - but think the extra 100mm would be handy

Oh and yes @dagree I seem to recall your posts re the Prado kissing the Panda ..... :doh:

I winced when I read it!!

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeah, mine is the same as @dagree
and I have the extended draw bar - never even know its there......
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/bigcols-16-49-1-hl-ob-13ex.4346/page-8
5th post from the bottom is a picture..........

both @dagree and myself brought them from
David Cowdell
Sales Manager | Unirack WA

9 Keegan Street,O'Connor WA 6163
Mobile: 0402 085 952 | Phone: 08 9331 1222 | Fax: 08 9331 1800
Email: david.c@unirack.com.au| Websites: http://www.unirack.com.au

unbelievable service - for me anyway - as they are in O'Connor and I'm in Swan Valley - he delivered for me......
very very very happy with the sales AND service from David........

tell him that guy in the Swan valley near midland, you delivered to recommended him......

hope this helps.......
http://www.unirack.com.au/images/palletrackingcatalogue.pdf

Reactions: dagree

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
Thanks @bigcol . Had a quick look at their website but it doesn't look like they do custom made versions, which I will need as I am yet to find one "off the shelf" with side opening doors and sliding drawers....

But I am searching :typing:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Not sure where you're located @MichaelB but there is a mob called MW Toolbox and Trailers that do off the shelf and custom boxes. The off the shelf ones were a bit exxie when I looked (But were good quality and from memory slightly thicker) but they also do custom boxes.

Just found the website..... http://www.toolboxcentre.com.au/index.php

They have showrooms at Balcatta, O'Connor, Osborne Park and Vic Park.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
There's actually an MW outlet not too far from me @dagree

Have been in there to have a look at what they can do... Price is reasonable I think for a custom made 1800mm unit with top opening door and side opening doors @ $850. Add the slides/drawer though and the price jumps by another $750 so need to work on this a bit more!!

Only thing with there boxes is the rather large lip at the base and top of the box. You lose about 80-90mm of internal height through the side door openings based on this design.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol